How much bleach per day?

Jill

Jun 17, 2012
About how many Ppm's does a balanced pool lose in a day? I'm just wondering about how many jugs of bleach I will need to keep on hand once I get my pool all situated! My pool is 27k in full sun and will have maybe 4 kids swimming a few hours a day.....

It is dependent on your CYA level to some degree.

But, given full sun and high use, 3-4ppm is probably not unreasonable ... if not more if they add the P to your ool.

So I am guessing about an 182oz jug per day.

My pool uncovered on a sunny day seems to use around 5ppm regardless of use in the heat of the summer. (obviously this is more of a minimum, with heavy use I'm sure it can go higher)

With a CYA of 50 ppm or so, the chlorine loss from sunlight is usually around half and then there's some small overnight loss. So that would be roughly around 3 ppm of one went from 6 to 3. At 80 ppm CYA, the loss may be more like 25% so going from 8 to 6 so a loss of 2 ppm. The background loss rate (the loss not due to sunlight) is a function of temperature so higher temps have higher losses. In my own pool at 88ºF, I estimate that background loss at around 0.7 ppm FC per day. If you're losing 5 ppm, that seems excessive. What's your CYA level and pool temperature?

The test looks like 60 to me, but maybe it's a bit lower. I had a CYA of around 95 last year and also lost close to 5ppm on sunny days. But at 95 I was targeting 11ppm FC and taking it up to 15-16 at night. Now at 60 I target 7, so I'm taking it up to 12 on nights before a sunny day. Oh - almost left out the temp. Lately i've been letting it hover around 90, but I usually keep it closer to 88.

With the solar cover on it loses around 1.7ppm.

I just figured the sun was consuming it. Maybe I need to open my sand filter and rinse it..? :scratch:

That does sound a little high on the daily loss. Have you tried an OCLT to see if it shows anything growing?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.