How much bleach per day?

Jill

Jun 17, 2012
About how many Ppm's does a balanced pool lose in a day? I'm just wondering about how many jugs of bleach I will need to keep on hand once I get my pool all situated! My pool is 27k in full sun and will have maybe 4 kids swimming a few hours a day.....

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
It is dependent on your CYA level to some degree.

But, given full sun and high use, 3-4ppm is probably not unreasonable ... if not more if they add the P to your ool.

So I am guessing about an 182oz jug per day.

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
My pool uncovered on a sunny day seems to use around 5ppm regardless of use in the heat of the summer. (obviously this is more of a minimum, with heavy use I'm sure it can go higher)

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
With a CYA of 50 ppm or so, the chlorine loss from sunlight is usually around half and then there's some small overnight loss. So that would be roughly around 3 ppm of one went from 6 to 3. At 80 ppm CYA, the loss may be more like 25% so going from 8 to 6 so a loss of 2 ppm. The background loss rate (the loss not due to sunlight) is a function of temperature so higher temps have higher losses. In my own pool at 88ºF, I estimate that background loss at around 0.7 ppm FC per day. If you're losing 5 ppm, that seems excessive. What's your CYA level and pool temperature?

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
The test looks like 60 to me, but maybe it's a bit lower. I had a CYA of around 95 last year and also lost close to 5ppm on sunny days. But at 95 I was targeting 11ppm FC and taking it up to 15-16 at night. Now at 60 I target 7, so I'm taking it up to 12 on nights before a sunny day. Oh - almost left out the temp. Lately i've been letting it hover around 90, but I usually keep it closer to 88.

With the solar cover on it loses around 1.7ppm.

I just figured the sun was consuming it. Maybe I need to open my sand filter and rinse it..? :scratch:

chem geek

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
San Rafael, CA USA
Maybe. If you run your pump overnight and find a larger chlorine loss than if you don't run it overnight, then that would probably mean there's something in the filter consuming chlorine.

Speedo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2011
Do you think that a loss of 5ppm/day (only on sunny days) with 60ppm CYA is reason enough by itself to assume something might be wrong?

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
That does sound a little high on the daily loss. Have you tried an OCLT to see if it shows anything growing?

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)