How much better are robots vs suction cleaners?

Mark,

The power supply is water resistant, but not water proof... I have been using robots for over 10 years and have never had a problem.. I try to keep them under the eve of the house or some where that they don't get drenched, but a little rain will not be an issue.

I have one pool that has no shelter by the equipment pad, so I just built a simple "dog house" for the power supply and mounted it to a fence..

Jim R.

Reactions: keatz85
The 'robot getting stuck on the main drain' issue is one to solve at the building stage, by using an A&A Chanel Drain instead of regular round drains. I try to recommend them as often as I remember. It's the only way to ensure that no robot will get stuck on the main drain. Otherwise an M400/M500 is the only sure-fire way. Many S-series get slowed down on drains, but many seem to separate in a short period of time. It's not a suction issue, just a drain geometry issue.

I'm struggling with my polaris 380. I feel like I take it in yearly to get serviced and end up spending $100-200 to replace parts or whatever. we haven't taken it in this year yet and it takes forever to clean the pool and it's not particularly dirty but for whatever reason it hates my deep end. if a robot can clean it in 2 hours, it seems like it's worthwhile to me. I've always been told for my small pool my suction cleaner is fine. For the guy that said the the dirt in robots contaminates the pool, how doesn't my dirt in my suction side cleaner bag?? I don't empty it daily.

Suction side pool cleaners can accumulate larger debris with an inline filter but fine materials like dirt, pollen or dust will be trapped in the pool filter. A robot with fine filters will trap both large and fine debris. You are correct that unless removed from the pool trapped material remains in the pool water. Removing the robot and cleaning the filters is a much simpler process than cleaning my pool filter. I can backwash my pool filter and that helps but requires adding DE and is not a full cleaning.

Suction side pool cleaners can accumulate larger debris with an inline filter but fine materials like dirt, pollen or dust will be trapped in the pool filter. A robot with fine filters will trap both large and fine debris. You are correct that unless removed from the pool trapped material remains in the pool water. Removing the robot and cleaning the filters is a much simpler process than cleaning my pool filter. I can backwash my pool filter and that helps but requires adding DE and is not a full cleaning.

I have a sand filter so backwashing is easy and I dont lose enough media to matter.

UD

Following also...

That Kreepy Krauly still in the box can be sold online and I can get something that works?

I have a suction side cleaner, a Pentair Great White. I have demo'ed two different Maytronics robotic cleaners, and I can say neither one of them worked as well as my Great White. I have an "L" shaped pool, and both of the robots would not go into the short side of the "L".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a suction side cleaner, a Pentair Great White. I have demo'ed two different Maytronics robotic cleaners, and I can say neither one of them worked as well as my Great White. I have an "L" shaped pool, and both of the robots would not go into the short side of the "L".

From what I read the "Pentair" Kreepy Krauly 820 has those Maytronics parts/build (aka Dolphin)

I'm still not sure I like the idea and wish I had been given an option at least.

I am considering a robot, maybe a Dolphin Nautilus CC. Am I to understand from this thread that the control panel for a robot cleaner is NOT expected to be Rain/Weatherproof ? Seems to me that is a deal breaker for me. IP67 rating seems required for this product.

Rain/weather resistant but not proof. It's pretty durable and you where the cord connects to the machine is even screwed on/sealed. You definitely wouldn't want it directly in the rain or in the pool but I'm definitely comfortable outside in covered area like under an awning where it won't get a lot of direct rain/sun. You can even put in inside a tupperware container but would want to have it int eh shade.

Regarding the cleaner getting stuck on the main drain issue:

The main drain clip ons (Main Drain Clip-On - Pool Maintenance Simplified) definitely help. I have 2 drains and decided to just try 1 per drain (your supposed to 2 per drain) since they're pretty pricey for a small piece of plastic. Robot would get stuck a lot less and when it did get stuck it worked it's way off pretty quick. Robot is definitely cleaning close t as it should but I still don't like it getting stuck. I have it programmed every other day but could probably do every 3 days.

I tried 2 clips on 1 drain (like your supposed to) and that was actually worse than 1. It seemed the robot could better get on top of the 2 clips and would get stuck so went back to 1 per drain. The problem I'm having now the clips are consantly coming off (I'm betting the robot is doing this). I called Maytrnics about that part that is supposed to prevent it from getting stuck and they said they don't have that for the Active20 (it is designed not to get stuck). Maytronics reommmended a Polaris Unicover or Zodiac Unibridge which appear to be $60 a pop :( I'll think I'll call main drain clip on and go from there.

The 'robot getting stuck on the main drain' issue is one to solve at the building stage, by using an A&A Chanel Drain instead of regular round drains. I try to recommend them as often as I remember. It's the only way to ensure that no robot will get stuck on the main drain. Otherwise an M400/M500 is the only sure-fire way. Many S-series get slowed down on drains, but many seem to separate in a short period of time. It's not a suction issue, just a drain geometry issue.

I would do things SO differently if buiding. Location of pool, main drains, etc. but the pool came w/ my house. What's the conseuss on the auto in-floor cleaning sytems? They seem incredible but I could see them working not as well as advertised and I'm betting you'd still have to brush and skim? What's the consensus on (I'm not sure of the temr) but I've seen above grounds pools that are basically buried deep w/ only a foot or so sticking out, then you build a footish tall deck around them. Seems like the best of pool worlds, close to an IG, a nice deck, but access to the lines for closing/repairs and maybe cheaper?

I love my Baracuda G3 also. I can't fathom why everyone here wants to take a robot in/out of a pool everytime they want to clean. This seems profoundly odd to me when I can ignore my cleaner for weeks/months at a time. My pool is essentially spotless so I also don't understand the exuberance over how "clean" everyone's pools are with a robot. This reminds me of the argument against sand filters for not filtering as well as DE or cartridge, when the difference is virtually insignificant.
And I can't fathom why anyone would leave a vac in the pool all the time. They're an eyesore, and surely you dont actually swim with it in? But, we all have our opinions and since there our own, they cant be wrong.?

How much swimming do you do in the winter where you live?

I dont swim much during the week but do on weekends.
Sometimes I won't swim for weeks.

Other times Ill use it every day.

And I can't fathom why anyone would leave a vac in the pool all the time. They're an eyesore, and surely you dont actually swim with it in? But, we all have our opinions and since there our own, they cant be wrong.?

"Eyesore" is in the eye of the beholder. I find pressure-side vacs and hoses to be more of an eyesore than my robot. As for swimming with a robot, they're low-voltage devices.

"Eyesore" is in the eye of the beholder. I find pressure-side vacs and hoses to be more of an eyesore than my robot. As for swimming with a robot, they're low-voltage devices.
Agree geebot, I was referring to a pressure side vac, not a robot, which I have and love. I only need to use mine twice a week, so see no need to leave it in the pool when it's not actively cleaning. I dont find it a chore to put in or remove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.