how much are you paying for shock?

Richard320 said:
A little over three bucks at Leslie's: Power Powder

Now that I've answered your question....answer mine. Why would you want to use it?
OK now that you have my attention, tell me my alternatives? I have only owned a pool for 1.5 years.

I just bought 12 packs for about $90.00..... I know I can buy a different brand at Lowes for about 3.90 but I felt it did not work as well.

gabagoo said:
Richard320 said:

Now that I've answered your question....answer mine. Why would you want to use it?
OK now that you have my attention, tell me my alternatives? I have only owned a pool for 1.5 years.

I just bought 12 packs for about $90.00..... I know I can buy a different brand at Lowes for about 3.90 but I felt it did not work as well.

Sounds like you are buying "lithium hypochlorite", which is nice stuff in that it doesn't add any CYA or Calcium they way other "shocks" do. But unstabilized chlorine (aka bleach) is A LOT cheaper. check out pool school in the top right corner of the page.

gabagoo said:

Good old chlorox bleach works really well. BTW, shock is a process, not really a product. You can shock with any form of chlorine. Liquid is cheapest and doesnt add anything unwanted to your pool like CYA or calcium.

To expand on Woody's point, a pound of lithium hypochlorite (you paid $7.50) will add 2.1 ppm of FC to my pool. The same increase could be achived with 2.75 cups of bleach (just under $2) or 12oz of the 48% Cal Hypo (about $2.25) I'm using because my CH is a touch low.

gabagoo said:
Richard320 said:

As others have informed you, bleach works as good as anything and doesn't add any unwanted chemicals. I may be hypersensitive about this as I'm stuck with CYA 2-3X higher than it should be and CH slightly higher. All because the previous owner and his pool service used a floater with pucks and doubtless the occasional bag of shock.

If you have low CH or low CYA, these other forms of chlorine are okay as long as you know what you're adding.

Keep the pool clean and the FC above minimum and you may never have to shock your pool again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.