How much and how often can muriatic acid be added?

When you get your test kit, it and Pool Math will tell you how much, as well as you learning your pool's needs and reactions.

With TA that high, you could be at this for weeks to get TA down.
As a guy that started with TA @ 175 in May and is down to 125 in almost August.....yeah it'll be a bit 😆. I am also a scaredy cat and don't want to push the PH envelope too much so maybe others get it down faster. I'm just taking the tortoise approach.

Reactions: aussieta
When you order a kit, get a smart stir. Very few things I have bought have been game changers. Speed stir is one. Makes the results super accurate by ensuring the chemical reactions during testing are consistent. You won't be disappointed.
I’m a raging skeptic, and have been told I’m cheap(though I prefer frugal) but caved and bought the smart stir last weekend.
zero regrets. i am using 50 plus drops on chlorine test during SLAM many times this week, it would be so annoying and time consuming to manually swirl after each drop. It seems to be more accurate/consistent results according to other posts but the convenience alone is worth it. They had a blue one on sale too! but I got the full pro kit.

Reactions: Katygreys
I don’t remember reading that you can only drop it .4 at a time. I add what PoolMath tells me to. Sometimes it was 70oz. I was having a very difficult time getting my TA to drop. It was very frustrating. I found I wasn’t dropping my ph low enough. I was going to 7.2 and then not dropping it again fast enough. I decided to drop it to 7.0 because of a recommendation on here and dropped it again when it hit 7.6 (or 7.5, whichever is on the test). It dropped my TA in less than 2 days. I kept my waterfall on most of the time. So try getting the ph lower to begin with and not let it get too high.
I thought it was half an hour for chemicals to be fully mixed on high speed.
The 0.4 recommendation is that the poolmath calculator gets less accurate the more the pH difference becomes. So it’s not very good at estimating changes more than 0.4.

Reactions: PoolStored
Got the test kit with the smart stir and loving it!

One question though about the TA test: in step 3 (adding R-0009) it says “Continue until the color changes to red”. Should it be dark red or as soon as it turns red-ish/pink is good enough?

Got the test kit with the smart stir and loving it!

One question though about the TA test: in step 3 (adding R-0009) it says “Continue until the color changes to red”. Should it be dark red or as soon as it turns red-ish/pink is good enough?
Add drops until the last drop produces no more change in color. Subtract that last drop. Let the drops fall on their own weight. Let them form and drop. If you squeeze the fast, the result will be smaller drops and a higher result.

Also, the 009 builds up a static charge. Wipe the tip each drop with a wet coffee filter or paper towel. That will allow the drops to form the correct size.

I don’t remember reading that you can only drop it .4 at a time. I add what PoolMath tells me to. Sometimes it was 70oz. I was having a very difficult time getting my TA to drop. It was very frustrating. I found I wasn’t dropping my ph low enough. I was going to 7.2 and then not dropping it again fast enough. I decided to drop it to 7.0 because of a recommendation on here and dropped it again when it hit 7.6 (or 7.5, whichever is on the test). It dropped my TA in less than 2 days. I kept my waterfall on most of the time. So try getting the ph lower to begin with and not let it get too high.
I thought it was half an hour for chemicals to be fully mixed on high speed.
You can drop by more than .4 - the recommendation is to only drop by .4 max, let it mix 30 minutes and then re-test and confirm, then drop again if needed. :)

Add drops until the last drop produces no more change in color. Subtract that last drop. Let the drops fall on their own weight. Let them form and drop. If you squeeze the fast, the result will be smaller drops and a higher result.

Also, the 009 builds up a static charge. Wipe the tip each drop with a wet coffee filter or paper towel. That will allow the drops to form the correct size.

Thank you!!! Very important piece of information I didn’t have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.