How many programmed stops do the Pentair Intellivalves have? Intellicenter questions

heckofagator

Bronze Supporter
Oct 6, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Posted a few times about the new equipment but but I'll summarize....

We just replaced all of our pool equipment and have an Intellicenter with 2 Intellivalves. There are 2 end points and I'm not sure if this is what they have as a max number, or if its because that's just because of how many "programs" we have set up.

We have:
Pool function - suction is 80% skimmer/20% spa drain ; return is 80% pool/20% spa/jets. Runs at 1700rpm for 12 hours per day.
Spa function - suction is 100% spa drain ; return is 100% spa/jets return

In spa mode, everything stays in the spa (for the most part. In pool mode, the waterfall spillover runs all day.

I've heard people mention that they only have their waterfall spillover running for a couple hours a day and I'm not sure how I would accomplish the same. I would need another end point on the automated valves that I think would put the suction at 100% skimmer (pool drain is plugged) and return at 100% pool returns.

I'm just not sure if I should care if I don't have a spillover and non-spillover mode and if I do care, how so I get this 3rd stop in the valves? Are they maxed out at 2 stops already or if I add another "mode" or "program" to my setup, will the Intellivalves know they need another end point?

Also, I've had a couple people asked if I just leave my pump at a constant rpm or if I ramp it up. As a second question to the above, do I care about this and how would I implement this? I guess its more Intellicenter programming that I do not know.

Heck.

All valve actuators have two end positions. You can adjust the end positions where you want, but the valve will always turn from one end to the other and then back.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Heck,

Your valves are not set up correctly.

The two automated valves you have are called the Intake and Return valves. Their movements are preprogrammed into the IntelliCenter. There is nothing you can do to change when they turn.

In the pool mode the Intake valve should suck water from just the Pool and the Return valve should send all the water back to the Pool.
In the spa mode the Intake valve should suck water from just the Spa and the Return valve should send all the water back to the Spa.

If you set up the Spillway mode, then the Intake valve should suck water from just the Pool and the Return valve should send all the water back to the Spa.

Some lazy pool builders will off-set the Return valve to always send a little water to the spa to causing it to continuously spillover into the pool. The good pool builders will use a make-up valve and line. We will need to see pics of your equipment to know what you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

This was a retro fit so the people that replaced the equipment were somewhat limited by the current plumbing etc. This wasn't a new build.

I can set the end points to how you have described so that pool mode keeps all water in the pool and spa mode keeps it all in the spa. Although in pool mode if I lose prime and the pump tries to prime with the skimmer open, it will suck so hard it'll empty the skimmer and never prime.

I still have been unable to find out where to set the prime settings in Intellicenter.

But if I think if I understand what you are saying, I can add a spillover mode to the Intellicenter and that will change the automated values to a 3rd point?

The plumbing diagram is accurate, I believe, but I'm happy to take pics of anything to help clarify

heck,

You can also set the prime mode right from the pump's display. Put the IntelliCenter into the Service mode and then you can use the pump's buttons.

If your pump can suck all the water out of the skimmer something is wrong. Sounds like your Skimmer's weir door is sticking when up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: heckofagator
Ah OK. I wasn't sure how to edit on the pump. I'll put in service mode and lower the prime rpms. Thanks. The weir door is moving freely but they had the prime at full rpm so I think it was just pulling too much water. I did trim the edges of the door with a hacksaw as it was tight at one point

Here are some pics below. Can I add a spillover mode with what I've got now? I'm still unsure about that 3rd valve position.

Also unsure if should be running constant rpm throughout the day or vary it up like I've seen some mention.

Last edited:
Heck,

There is not 3rd stop. The IntelliCenter just moves the Intake valve to the pool and moves the return valve to the spa positions. It is preset in the IntelliCenter.

1. Find an unused Feature Circuit and rename it anything you want like XXXX Set the Circuit Function of XXXX to spillway.
2. Set a pump speed for XXXX to the speed you want the spillover to run.
3. Set up a schedule to run XXXX for 30 minutes twice a day.

That is it. When XXXX circuit turns on, the Intake valve will suck water from the Pool and the Return valve will send it all back to the Spa,

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK thank you. I think that does make sense. I'll adjust the valves tomorrow so they are set correctly and then see about messing with Intellicenter.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to come back and say thanks - this really helped.

I was able to come out this am and change the prime settings again on the pump (can't tell you how long I looked iin Intellicenter for those settings).

Also set the end points to the valves so that I now have true pool and spa mode. Found how to add circuits and it was pretty straightforward to add a spillway and add it to the schedule. Tested and it seems to work really good.

The only thing that threw me was that the speed for the spillway wasn't in the pump settings, but I went to configure the pump and saw that I had to add the new feature circuit to the pump and now I have speed control too.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks - this really helped.
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Just want to double check on Intellicenter scheduling.

Simple example, right now I have the pool mode running at 1700 rpm from 8am to 10pm (all day) and another spillover schedule running within that time, say from 9-10am running at 1000rpm. The spillover valves change just fine but the speed does not.

Do I need to schedule linearly like:

Pool 8-9am
Spillover 9-10am
Pool 10am-10pm

So that I get the speed changes?

Heck,

The rule is.. if the pump see two or more speeds, it will always run the fastest one. In your case 1700.

Your Pool Circuit should be set the lowest speed that you every want to run. 1000 RPM.
Then schedule 1700 all the time except when you want the pump to run at 1000 RPM.

This might seem silly now, but if you get a SWCG, the Pump/Filter relay will need to be closed, and it will only close in the Pool mode or Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Heck,

The rule is.. if the pump see two or more speeds, it will always run the fastest one. In your case 1700.

Your Pool Circuit should be set the lowest speed that you every want to run. 1000 RPM.
Then schedule 1700 all the time except when you want the pump to run at 1000 RPM.

This might seem silly now, but if you get a SWCG, the Pump/Filter relay will need to be closed, and it will only close in the Pool mode or Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks, I get the idea, I'm just not sure how exactly to implement that in the scheduling section of Intellicenter.

Any chance you (or anyone) has a screenshot of how this could look? This isn't a huge deal if it just runs at 1700rpm all day, spillover or not, but the waterfall is definitely moving pretty good. I was curious what it looked like if I backed it off a little bit.

I was outta pocket this evening and will be all day tomorrow. Currently my Intellicenter is offline for some reason that likely Pentair only knows.

I'll get something posted up tomorrow eve or Sunday, showing what Jim is talking about.

--Jeff

Alright, I have a few minutes and Intellicenter seems to be online now. I don't know if it was my router or Pentair that was the cause so at the moment, I'll absolve Pentair from any wrongdoings.

So let's briefly talk about circuits

You have aux circuits, feature circuits, and circuit groups. Aux circuits control one of your aux relays in the panel. Feature circuits are programmed and are most generally used for turning on/off valves, or for some additional feature you want to happen. Circuit groups are a grouping of multiple aux or feature circuits that you want to happen with a single button press. See mine below for example.

1656159198622.png
1656159349202.png
1656159264408.png

Any of the above mentioned circuits, as well as some preprogrammed internal circuits, can be used to associate a pump speed with it. As you can see under my pumps tab below, I have multiple circuits associated with different pump speeds.

1656159435024.png
1656159474953.png

And finally, we have the schedules.

1656159743462.png

So, I have my pool circuit running 24/7. So with nothing else turned on, my pool circuit runs and the pump speed is at 1200RPM.

At 9 am, my in floor cleaner circuit turns on, which activates the valve, and bumps the pump speed up to 2700RPM.

At 2pm, the IFCS turns off, and pump speed returns to 1200RPM. Then at dusk, my spray circuit turns on, which just controls the pump speed, no valves move, and is essentially just a ramp up in pump speed to get my return jet aerator/sprayer to boost the water spray further up into the air to get better evaporative cooling.

So essentially what you need to program is your pool circuit to be the lowest that you ever want your pump to run, with all circuits off. In my case, 1200RPM keeps my SWCG happy. For the sake of this example, lets say that is 800RPM. Then create additional feature circuits for additional pump speeds, say 1700RPM for your above example. So you would create a new feature circuit called pump speed 1700, assign that circuit to your pump with 1700RPM. Your spillway circuit should already be associated with the pump and set for 1000RPM, and your pool circuit is associated with the pump at 800RPM, per our example mentioned above.

So then, using your example times from above, that would look like this, assuming that you are turning off the pool between 10pm and 8am.

Pool circuit (800RPM) - 8am - 10pm daily
Pump Speed 1700 - 8:05am - 9am daily
Spillover (1000RPM) - 9am - 10am daily
Pump Speed 1700 - 10am - 10pm daily.

This should turn on the pump first thing in the morning, at 800RPM, then at 8:05, will turn on PS 1700 circuit and raise the pump speed to 1700. Then at 9, your PS1700 turns off, and your spillway turns on, reducing pump speed to 1000. Then again at 10, your spillover turns off, and the PS 1700 turns back on raising the pump speed to 1700 again. If at any time throughout the day, the higher speed circuits turn off, the Pool circuit will remain on at 800 RPM.

Hopefully this is clear. If not let me know. Like I mentioned before, I'll be a little bit out of pocket today, but will respond as soon as I can.

--Jeff

Jeff that is a great post and really helpful. I hadn't really planned to get too deep into the Intellicenter programming at first, but I do want to understand it a little better and this is certainly a great resource. Its going to take me a bit to step thru it and and make sure its all sinking in.

BTW, what app are those screenshots from? Is that from a web interface on a PC or something? All I have is the Intellicenter2 app on my Android phone and none of my screens look anything like what you show. Wondering if I'm even using the best app or best method of remote access.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.