DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
As we get close to the completion of the remodel I now have a total of 13 valves. Not that I need to control all of them but would like more automation and the ability to do so for most of them. I see they make some cards but not real sure how I can expand this to put as many as I would like with actuators. Can anyone help me out here?

Tell us what your 13 valves are controlling and which you may want to automate.

Also please create your signature withd etaisl of your pool and equipment. Knowing your equipment will help us understand your situation better.

@PoolGate

Tell us what your 13 valves are controlling and which you may want to automate.

Also please create your signature withd etaisl of your pool and equipment. Knowing your equipment will help us understand your situation better.

@PoolGate
Thanks and I will get around to updating the signature once its all done. I understand the automation system better than the pool builder and have done all of that work on my own. I am just trying to determine what Jandy makes that will allow me to add more actuators. What product do they offer for expansion? I will be installing 3 smart JVA cards as well but I have that all figured out already.

AFAIK Jandy does not offer any JVA expansion boards. With an RS8 system you have four JVA sockets and you have 7 programmable Aux control circuits for your equipment.

An RS-PS16 will control up to 12 JVAs.

It requires 2 power centers and it has 15 aux.

I think that each JVA requires its own AUX, which means that if you want to control 12 JVAs, you have only 3 AUX left for everything else.

Have you already purchased everything?

Can you describe all equipment?

Yep, each JVA requires an AUX port. Lights and some other devices also require an AUX port. With an RS8 you are limited to 4 JVAs. See chart above.

each JVA requires an AUX port.
Every JVA requires an AUX port and every relay requires an AUX port, so the RS-PS16 will control up to 12 JVAs and 16 relays, which require a total of 28 AUX to fully control everything, but you only have 15 AUX, which is really stupid and it is false advertising.

You need 13 more AUX to control everything that it says that you can control.

So sounds like no real way for me to add control to all of these valves then. Example my waterfall pump has 6 valves on it and sounds like I will not be able to adjust them any other way than walking over and doing it by hand?

So sounds like no real way for me to add control to all of these valves then. Example my waterfall pump has 6 valves on it and sounds like I will not be able to adjust them any other way than walking over and doing it by hand?

Not without significantly more money. You may be able to run multiple valves off the same controller meaning when you adjust one it adjusts many but not sure that will help you. And I doubt Jandy supports it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some could be in groups for sure

This is almost certainly not supported by Jandy but I suppose you could splice several JVAs together to get multiple JVAs to work from a single output on the Aqualink. Your builder probably would also not do this for you.

Each JVA requires .75 amps at 24V AC.

You can get a separate transformer to provide power to run the actuators.

For 13 actuators, you need a transformer that can output about 350 watts or 350 VA.

You can put a group on a single pole, double throw switch that is activated by the valve output or any other output voltage.

If you can describe exactly what you want it to do, we might be able to suggest a solution.

A transformer like the Hayward GLX-XFMR Transformer puts out 24 VAC and should be fine for about 10 valve actuators.

Run the power through a SPDT relay to activate the valves as a group.

The actual valve actuator output can be used to activate the relay.

81FUHn2L34L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I was going to also suggest building a relay activated transformer box but couldn't find a 24V AC output transformer. That is your best bet as long as you can find a relay that works on a 24 Volts AC trigger as well. I could not find one but looks like the one above would work.

Thanks everyone will be putting together a list of items from the above mentioned so that I can at least get the bubblers all on this setup and that will take care of 4 valves.

Thanks everyone will be putting together a list of items from the above mentioned so that I can at least get the bubblers all on this setup and that will take care of 4 valves.

Keep in mind that you may not need a JVA on each valve. For instance, if you are going to turn all the bubblers on/off at the same time, you just need a single JVA that controls the valve going to the bubbler array. Not a JVA on each bubbler.

Reactions: JamesW
I would put a fuse on the power coming out of the transformer to protect everything.

I would allow 1 amp for each valve actuator.

For 5 valve actuators, I would install a 5 amp fuse in one of the wires coming out of the transformer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.