How long to see TA reduction when treating with muriatic acid?

AtlasAirborne

Jul 7, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Current chemistry:

FC: 3ppm-8ppm
pH: seems to be rising pretty quickly, takes maybe 1wk to rise from 7.3 to 8.0
TA: 160ppm (I'm dropping pH to ~7.0 periodically with muriatic acid to try and reign this in, but haven't seen much change in the two cycles I've done so far)
CH: 260ppm (I am chlorinating with unstabilised CalHypo until this reaches 350ppm)
CYA: 48ppm (recently diluted from 210+ppm)

So far I've put maybe 2ga 31.45% muriatic acid into the pool, but haven't seen any movement in TA outside the margin of error. Max I've tested at was 170ppm, and it's currently testing at 160ppm.

The first time, I dropped to 7.0 and aerated to 7.3. pH was back to 8.0 within a week.
Today, I dropped it to 6.9 and added 1lb Cal Hypo (so it's temporarily spiked back to 8.0, and will presumably settle at or above 7.0 anyway since we were splashing around for a while today afterwards)

Am I being impatient, or is something suspicious/wrong here?

Why are trying to lower your TA quickly? Your CH is in the lower range, and your scaling tendency is not an issue.

Just manage pH. Let pH rise to 8. Lower it to 7.4. Test TA when you need to lower pH as you need the value for Poolmath. No real reason to push TA down in a hurry.

Why are trying to lower your TA quickly? Your CH is in the lower range, and your scaling tendency is not an issue.

Just manage pH. Let pH rise to 8. Lower it to 7.4. Test TA when you need to lower pH as you need the value for Poolmath. No real reason to push TA down in a hurry.
Less a question of wanting to do it quickly, and more just making sure I'm not doing something obviously wrong.

Part of it, though, is that I'm looking to go back to SWG for convenience, and it seems like I'd want to get my TA sorted (70ppm rec, or does that change for a SWG system?) beforehand.

I also figured that the pH was rising faster than desirable and that dropping TA would mean more stable pH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.