Surprise, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My TA was 90 and pH 8.0/8.1, so I added muriatic acid per pool math to lower TA. How long do I aerate to bring up pH after lowering ? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about aeration as it'll come up on it's own with a TA of 90. On the other hand every time you lower the PH it'll have a small effect on the TA too so leave the 90 alone and just control the PH in the mid 7's.

That’s the problem. Almost every other day I have to add acid to lower my pH. Loves to stay at 7.9-8.1. Pool is new so I know the first 6 to 12 months pH runs high due to new plaster. But is needing to add acid every other day normal? When can I expect this to level off?

It took my entire first season before the acid demand came down. It was a task and I just tried to keep the pH out of the 8s. Even now, years later, my pool seems to balance best with a pH arond 7.8.

That’s the problem. Almost every other day I have to add acid to lower my pH. Loves to stay at 7.9-8.1. Pool is new so I know the first 6 to 12 months pH runs high due to new plaster. But is needing to add acid every other day normal? When can I expect this to level off?
pH of 7.9 is fine. Its the more important parameter to your plaster. Once the TA slowly lowers to 50/60 the pH rise will slow down. Don’t ever add enough acid to bring the pH lower than 7.0.

I also got new plaster right before winter and a single trichlor tablet in a floater keeps the pH below 7.8.

You are adding lots of make up water due to evaporation right now. That water is high in TA. Even without the curing plaster, pH rise is occurring due to that.

The other day before I heard back from anyone , I added 2 cups of acid (what pool math said to add for the target ph I had of 7.2— when I was going to try the aerate method) and next day I checked pH and it had only gone down to 7.7 or 7.8. It just feels like I can never go away /out of town due to needing to add acid. I have to add acid almost every day if I want my ph below 7.9.

My tap water pH seems to be about 8.2-8.5, so if filling a lot due to evap, then perhaps I will always be plagued with high pH. Just seems like a lot to have to add acid everyday .

The fill water TA is more important than the pH. The TA rises each time you put in water. That pushes the pH up.

The other day before I heard back from anyone , I added 2 cups of acid (what pool math said to add for the target ph I had of 7.2— when I was going to try the aerate method) and next day I checked pH and it had only gone down to 7.7 or 7.8. It just feels like I can never go away /out of town due to needing to add acid. I have to add acid almost every day if I want my ph below 7.9.

My tap water pH seems to be about 8.2-8.5, so if filling a lot due to evap, then perhaps I will always be plagued with high pH. Just seems like a lot to have to add acid everyday .
What’s your TA now? If it’s still 90 that will make your pH rise very fast. You don’t have to wait a day to check the pH. You can add acid and check the pH in 30 minutes and see if it went down as expected. If not, Then add more acid.

If you target a specific pH

• Pump running
  • Test pH
  • Determine target pH and add acid amount suggested in PoolMath
  • 30 - 45 minutes later, test pH again
  • Did you reach target?
  • If so, you're done. If not add new suggested amount.
Chances are if you add acid one day and wait to test pH again to the next day, your pH has risen a good deal (especially if you have high evaporation or run water features/spill overs).

Evaporation in the desert southepwest is high right now. Adding high TA fill water will cause the pH to rise.

If you want to aerate, turn on any water features/spill ofers and the aerator (if your pool has one).
Try to keep TA in the 60-ish range to minimize pH rise. This time of year it can be a bit of a challenge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support