How long should I wait?

jblizzle said:
What pump do you have? Either way it will be able to move water through an additional return.

Please add your pool details as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I think it's a Pentair 1.5hp single speed. The filter is a 20", nit sure brand.

I plan to add the info, just haven't gotten around to finishing everything up yet and remebering to jot it all down while busting butt trying to get that pool up.

jblizzle said:
That sounds like more than enough pump.

When I was sizing up pools at my pool place, everything pretty much required a 21" filter with a 1.5hp pump. So I guess my 21' round pool had a bigger pump/filter combo than needed.

For the pump, with no water features, you could get by with just about the smallest pump you can find which would also be cheaper to run. But, you have what you have. When it dies, look for a smaller 2-speed.

For the filter, for a 21' round we would recommend about 19" sand filter, but for you current pool which is around 20k gallons, we would recommend a 26" sand filter.

So you have a filter that is a bit too small and a pump that is a bit too big ... which seems to be about the norm of pool store recommendations unfortunately.

Just means you will likely have to backwash more often.

Jason, when sizing up a SWG, I read somewhere that it is recommended to get one 1.5x the size needed for amount of water to be chlorinated. Is this fact and what benefit is it to get a SWG that much larger?

At best, I'll be looking at 4.5' or 21,900gal of water.

Size the SWG for 1.5-3x the size of the pool. The ratings are generally is your were running the SWG and pump 24/7 ... we do not want to be doing that due to the electrical cost. The larger cells will generate the FC more quickly and thus run less which means they should last longer to offset the extra cost.

For your pool I would be looking at a 40k+ SWG cell.

jblizzle said:
Size the SWG for 1.5-3x the size of the pool. The ratings are generally is your were running the SWG and pump 24/7 ... we do not want to be doing that due to the electrical cost. The larger cells will generate the FC more quickly and thus run less which means they should last longer to offset the extra cost.

For your pool I would be looking at a 40k+ SWG cell.

That is the one I am looking at. Particulary the Hayward Aqua Rite SWG. I went over to my neighbors Friday and checked out their system. It's the Hayward Aqua Rite System.

Reading up on the Aqua Rite system. It's has to be wired. Right now all I have is a el-cheapo timer for my pump. It only has 1 plug. So, I'll have to look for a timer panel in order to wire both the pump and the SWG allowing them both to be on the same timer.
Any input as to what I should look at?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could just is one of the basic Intermatic mechanical timers. And either hardware the pump to the LOAD side with the SWG, or wire in an outlet that is fed off the timer.

jblizzle said:
You could just is one of the basic Intermatic mechanical timers. And either hardware the pump to the LOAD side with the SWG, or wire in an outlet that is fed off the timer.

So it is possible to wire a 120 plug to the SWG?

I was looking at the Intermatic ET1725C. What I have now is just the Intermatic P1131.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.