How long for grout to dry before filling with water?

Sunnydaze

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2021
AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is not a new build but a tile repair. A warranty company replaced 3 tiles that fell off from the water line. The water was drained about an inch below the tile. They grouted it immediately after reinstalling the tiles and told me to wait a few hours before filling the water back up to the tile line.

It seems like a few hours isn't long enough. I don't want the tiles to come off again or the grout to come out. Any recommendations? It's very warm and dry here... In the mid 90's.

What type of tiles?

What thinset and grout was used? Different products have different recommendations for curing times.

Ok. I'm just concerned about the plaster being exposed to the heat and sun. It's Pebbletec and only about 3/4 inch is exposed. And it's mid 90s here. Would you be concerned or am I being too cautious?

Half of the 24 hours is going to be at night.

What time did they finish the repair.

Your plaster will be fine for 24 hours.

Half of the 24 hours is going to be at night.

What time did they finish the repair.

Your plaster will be fine for 24 hours.

It was drained down last night so it's been exposed all day today. 24 hours would be through 3pm tomorrow. Should be fine then?

Should be fine.

If it worries you then go around the pool and hose down the exposed plaster around noon time to cool it.

Porcelain tiles i think and I don't know what thinset. But they used simple grout premixed grout
I know this is old so I may not get a reply, but I figured it was worth a shot. :)
Just curious how the grout held up? I have been researching grout for my waterline tiles and since I have used simple grout many times in the past (backsplashes, floors, shower walls, etc.) I thought about it. However, when I looked it up the manufacturer says it is not for prolonged water exposure or underwater.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.