How long does the slam procedure take?

May 8, 2017
Cartersville ga
I have read pool school, my testing kit is on the way. What Im not sure is how long (on average) does your pool have be at shock level to kill the algae? I pretty much never have 2 days off in a row. I usually get home around 4. On the day I start it, could I begin around 4:30, check final level before bed and again in the morning before leaving? Or maybe start around 430 in the afternoon before a day off?
Im so excited, I went to wal mart yesterday and bought a lot of bleach, baking soda, and some borax. Im ready :D

The length of a SLAM varies anywhere from a few days to a week or two. Some swamp pools could take longer. Duration also depends on an owners ability to "maintain" the proper FC level and brush, sweep, vacuum, backwash, etc. All of these contribute to the length. As for work, it happens to most of us. Start a SLAM (link below) as soon as you can and follow those directions carefully. After lowering the pH and confirming an accurate CYA with the proper test kit, focus your testing on the FC. Adjust it before work, as soon as you get home, and again before bed. Any other times are bonus. That's about all you can do. :) Always maintain the proper FC (SLAM/Shock level) for your CYA as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below).

Keep the baking soda and borax in storage, but be ready to use the bleach. Also, you may need some muriatic acid to lower pH when your kit arrives. Those will be the only two chemicals you'll probably need to start the SLAM (bleach & muriatic acid). Have a nice weekend.

Welcome Cindy,

Pat has you well covered as always, but like he says you just can't say. Let us know when you are ready to start, and we will be anxious to help you through all the steps, and have you smiling at some sparkling water. :lol:

Glad you found us and decided to join. :whoot:

Welcome! :wave:

The process generally takes about a week. I think the record for green to clean was three days, but that guy was obsessed and set his alarm clock and got up every two hours through the night. A really gooey swamp is more like two weeks.

The good news is, it's only the first day or two that requires huge amounts of bleach and lots of attention. After that it just brushing and filtering and minimal bleach additions.

While you're waiting on your kit, you can amuse yourself by brushing and vacuuming or scooping any leaf buildup. It has to be done, and the less organic material in the pool, the less bleach you'll need, and the faster it will go.

I'd suggest starting the evening before you day off. Check CYA and pH and get that dealt with after work. After dinner, jugs away! Before bed, round two. Set the filter on recirculate so it doesn't clog while you sleep, and get some rest because your arms and lower back will be getting a workout tomorrow. First thing, test FC and boost it. Pu the filter back on filter. Go have breakfast. Take some Motrin. Get out there and brush it all again, then test and dose again. Repeat again and again. Keep an eye on filter pressure, because it will load up fast in the early stages. By bedtime the water will likely be a cloudy blue-grey and you'll only be losing a few FC between doses.

Then hit it before work, set filter on recirculate. Come home, return to filter, and dose again. Eat dinner, dose. Dose, go to bed. Brush and/or vacuum when you can.

You can do it. It didn't go green in a day, it'll take more than a day to clear. Making a mess is always faster than cleaning it.

Reactions: astrid
Thanks everyone! So great news, I actually managed to work my schedule since i was on this morning and i am going to be off 2 days in a row after all. It will be Tuesday and Wednesday. I just hope my test kit gets here in time. Im posting a picture of my swamp. Ive been on leaf duty, i think i stirred it up to looking a bit browner than it usual green.

Attachments

• IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 563

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cindy, is that a return that's aimed up-and-out right next to a skimmer? Unless you're trying to raise pH, you may want to point that downward a bit. I also wonder if aiming it away from the skimmer (counter-clockwise) could help with the skimming effort?

The good news is that it appears that you have at least decent water flow. Is that set to filter or bypass?

Cindy, is that a return that's aimed up-and-out right next to a skimmer? Unless you're trying to raise pH, you may want to point that downward a bit. I also wonder if aiming it away from the skimmer (counter-clockwise) could help with the skimming effort?

The good news is that it appears that you have at least decent water flow. Is that set to filter or bypass?

Yes that is a return, Im so new to this, so is that what I should do? I didnt know that would raise the PH. Right now its on filter. Is that wrong, should it be on bypass? Ive always been kinda scared of the pump. I only use filter, backwash, and rinse. This will probably sound real stupid but what does bypass do exactly?

Ive been studying chemicals, levels, and SLAMming so hard I have got to the filter and how it works quite yet.

Your valve may say Recirculate. Richard suggested that you do that if you weren't able to monitor the pressure due to your work schedule. Now that you have time off, keep it filtering and monitor the pressure and flow.

You could test the water circulation in your pool by throwing in small floating objects (ping pong balls are recommended) and see how they travel. It seems to me that the return the way it is would prevent some debris from making its way to the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.