How long does it take dead algae to settle to the bottom of pool?

zmike

May 11, 2020
Southeast Michigan
I can manual vac or use intex auto vac in the morning, leave filter off all day, 20 mins or so after the filter is turned on, brown dust/dirt like stuff starts to form on bottom.

I've read 85% is likely dead algae, OCLT multiple times passed, 0-0.5cc, water is balanced and crystal clear.

Thanks,
Mike

Do you have a sand filter? Most are not very good at capturing dead algae and so it will recirculate back into the pool. Either you have to vacuum to waste or use DE in the filter.

Sand filter yes, finished vacuuming with intex auto vac at 10:00 am this morning, no manual vac today, have not ran the filter since 10:00 am - 2:30 pm now, and nothing has settled on the bottom of the pool.

If it is dead algae, would it have settled by now?

I have kept the filter off all day till the evening before, nothing on the bottom of the pool, shortly after the filter is running it starts to settle on the bottom again?

Thanks,
Mike

Filter was backwashed & rinsed on 6/27 after big rain and pressure has not changed since then, also hairnet in skimmer.

7:19 pool bottom still clean, no dust/dirt type of anything?

Still not sure how long dead algae takes to settle to the bottom of the pool?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
What I meant was that after vacuuming up the algae, you should immediately backwash so it does not end up back in the pool.

I did not manual vac to the filter, I used intex auto vac today, which connects to the return on the pool. I'm just trying to figure out if it is dirt, dust or dead algae?

Most if not all posts point to dead algae on this forum. That is why I ask how long does dead algae take to settle on the bottom of pool? After 12 hrs still nothing on the bottom of the pool?

I will run the filter in the morning and see if what ever it is returns, but this is my experience, every time I run the filter fine dust like sediment, when brushed poofs away like dead algae.

Will dead algae suspend in the water when not disturbed or does it need the filter to run to make it settle on the bottom of the pool?

Thanks, for the advice
Mike

Dead algae will always settle out to the bottom of the lool. But there is no set time. It depends on the size of the particlea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.