How long do I need to SLAM?

DThompson55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
I know the answer is, "Until the water is clear", but it's been 5 days. I'm adding two gallons of 12.5% chlorine into a 15k gallon pool every day. FC drops to 3 and I dump in more (measuring carefully using the app). pH 7.4, TA 30, CYA 30. There's also a floaty thing with chlorine tabs. Vacuuming daily, there's no leaves or debris. It's just not clearing up, although it's not all that green either, compared to prior years at this time. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The experts will no doubt weigh in shortly but I'll share a couple of things I learned from my first SLAM which I'm just winding down from.

1. Solar cover needs to be off during the day at least. I also got one opinion that said I should leave it off at night too to allow for C02 offgassing.
2. Turn off your UV sanitizer if you have one. It was consuming my FC overnight throwing off my OCLT.
3. How's your filter? I think if there's a lot of Crud in there it could be consuming FC.

Caveat on the above - I'm still new around here so wiser minds may disagree - and I'll be grateful for their wisdom.

m.

Reactions: DThompson55
I'm adding two gallons of 12.5% chlorine into a 15k gallon pool every day. FC drops to 3
How frequently/soon do you check & up FC?

pH 7.4, TA 30, CYA 30. There's also a floaty thing with chlorine tabs. Vacuuming daily, there's no leaves or debris. It's just not clearing up, although it's not all that green either, compared to prior years at this time. Thoughts?
The floaty thing is adding to your CYA, "not all that green" sounds like the WHOLE SLAM Process steps need to be taken, sooner rather than later!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.