How Long Can You Delay Liner Replacement, if at all?

keatz85

Bronze Supporter
Oct 21, 2017
Jacksonville, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So it's probably time to bite the bullet (see pictures) but I'm a run it until the wheels fall off kind of guy. So had a small tear a couple years ago that I patched (probably would have fixed then had I known about the whole double patch/wallpaper roller method back then) but every June the patchwork comes undone and more tears, holes, and pinholes appear.

This year I double patched and used a wallpaper roller and I feel decently confident about it. Liner is wrinkled in a couple places, near bottom of some patches. Aesthetically you have to be in the pool or on "back" side plus if anyone asked I think they would understand holding off on spending thousands of dollars, plus I don't care/doesn't bug me much.

So the thought has crossed my mind that if does the same thing come June the tear may be huge and under the water line , having to replace then would obviously end the season. It's 12 years old but seems in great condition elsewhere so I don't know if something is wrong w/ the wall or floor in that area causing the liner to pull down or maybe it's getting the most sun and wore out first? I've seen on here the best time to replace liner is Spring. The patch is above the water line (not sure if that makes it any better?). Did the bucket test for leak detection and passed with flying colors. But I can't say I wont' be somewhat worried over the winter even. Finances are tighter due to COVID-19 though.

I've seen on here that delaying is penny smart & pound foolish, but how so exactly? Damage? Where at? How so? How extensive? How expensive? I thought parts of the floor we dirt, maybe a really dumb question but wouldn't the dirt get saturated from ground water anyway?

TFP hasn't steered me wrong so would you all replace now, Spring, delay, delay how long, wait until it's beyond saving (which it could already be there)?

PXL_20210923_000033187.jpgPXL_20210923_131416693.MP.jpg

Depends if you want to do the liner replacement on your schedule and terms or on an emergency basis when the pool cannot hold water anymore?

Do you want to risk losing the pool for a summer season while waiting for a new liner?

Or have to deal with supporting the walls while the pool is empty?

I like being in control or when things get done and minimizing the costs involved.

Reactions: keatz85
+1 to both points above. There is a point for everyone when they can limp along to buy more time. You’ve already had your turn and limping along too long leads to catastrophic failure.

Well, glad ya'll nudged me to get this moving. I have reached out to 6 companies - 1 is booked until Spring 2023 (the company I would prefer to do it assuming their quote isn't outrageous and they weren't booked until 2023), 2 do not serve my area (there's only 2 pool companies in my town and 1 is terrible so I had to reach out the nearest city, Springfield, 30 miles away), 1 does not replace liners, 2 did not reply. Now that I think about it, I'm not surprised, but pool construction companies are a PAIN, the same as any other contractor (not replying, not providing quotes, wait times, etc.). I guess I've been spoiled by my pool co. when it comes to opening, closing, and repairs.

There is also just a guy in my town who's been installing pools left and right. Every new pool build that I can think of, he has done. I've seen a couple of his jobs and they look awesome but he just works when he can/feels like it and his jobs take a while. I believe he's been in construction, excavating, and concrete most of his life...but his pools haven't been in long enough to see how quality the build was (not even if sure if he does liner replacements, but if he builds them I don't know why he wouldn't). So long story short, using him would concern me as well.

There are more companies in Springfield but their reviews or lack thereof concern me.

I'm going to expand my search radius and see if that helps.

So what I'm getting at I guess, is it worse to go w/ someone I trust but wait longer or go with someone who may not pass the "smell test" but can it do quicker?

I have seen folks on here DIY liner replacement as well. I like DIY - small landscaping jobs, replacing outlets/switches, installing pump timers, replacing pump motor, painting, replacing garage door opener, basic stuff. How easy is DIY liner replacement? I feel it's something I'd get into and then regret (too much work/time) or realize I'm in over my head. One of the pool companies I looked at had a lien replacement time lapse on their FB page and it looked like it took forever and they had like 10 guys.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I prefer quality over speed. It depends if your liner will cooperate and wait.

I would get on someones schedule to know you have a slot booked. Then see if they can move you up if they have a cancellation. And if your liner tears a big hole before the date you try and get them to work with you to move up their date.

Last edited:
I prefer quality over speed. It depends if your liner will cooperate and wait.

I would get on someones schedule to know you have a slot booked. Then see if they can move you up if they have a cancellation. And if your liner tears a big gold before the date you try and get them to work with you to move up their date.
Great advice, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.