how long can tabs be used without having to refill pool due to high CYA?

Mar 3, 2016
Gold Canyon, AZ
I had been using liquid chlorine but as my local HD was out of it I started using trichlor tabs which I had bought for when I go away. My CYA was 45 but went to 70 after only 7 tabs had been dissolved. I still have over 50 unused tabs and would like to use them for the convenience but do not want to drain and refill in the summer. In general how long can a 13K pool go when using tabs before having to refill due to high CYA?

It really depends on your current CYA, but each 1/2 lb trichlor tab will raise your CYA by 2.6 (I used pool math, effects of adding). That is pretty close to the increase you saw for your 7 tabs.

Reactions: HermanTX
I had been using liquid chlorine but as my local HD was out of it I started using trichlor tabs which I had bought for when I go away. My CYA was 45 but went to 70 after only 7 tabs had been dissolved. I still have over 50 unused tabs and would like to use them for the convenience but do not want to drain and refill in the summer. In general how long can a 13K pool go when using tabs before having to refill due to high CYA?

If you're at 70, you should probably stop using them. I've heard that in a hot climate, you can lose 10 or more CYA per month, so your CYA might drop low enough to use them in a while.

Pool math is bang on at 19ppm raise from 56oz of triclor pucks. You were already at 50, since we round up if the reading is between two values.

I would start looking for liquid chlorine at walmart, Lowes, local pool stores. Someone's bound to have it.

Keep in mind that higher CYA is recommended for salt pools, which is why Chris suggested it. Note this is only for SWCG salt pools, not just pools with salt added for feel.

Salt will not make any difference to cya readings. Anyway I already have some salt added as it seems to make the water feel softer, but maybe that's psychological? The only way to lower cya is by draining and replacing, that is why I am concerned about adding more tabs.
My point is that you can avoid this cycle with salt since you won't have to use tablets to get chlorine added to your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My point is that you can avoid this cycle with salt since you won't have to use tablets to get chlorine added to your pool.
Just adding more salt will NOT affect the chlorine or CYA level. If I do not use tablets I will have to use liquid Chlorine, the only other alternative is to add a swg but I have been there and done that in the 50 years I have operated a pool here in AZ and would not want to go back to that as it was a time consuming nightmare in cleaning the cell daily and cost of yearly replacement.

cleaning the cell daily and cost of yearly replacement.

You can certainly choose not to use a SWG if you don’t want to, but if this is why you’re not using one you might want to reconsider. As long as you keep the pool chemicals in balance and the SWG is sized properly the cell shouldn’t need cleaned more than once or twice a season and should last 5 or 6 or more years.

Reactions: borjis and mknauss
Are you really using a Taylor K2007 test kit? If so, that is part of your past SWG issues. The Taylor K2007 only tests FC/TC (only up to 10), pH and CYA. Without the TA, CH and FAS/DPD tests, your SWG was scaling up do to your CSI being way too high. Add to that that your tap water is probably pretty hard - high CH - and no wonder the SWG needed weekly cleaning.

Whether you choose to continue using liquid chlorine or go with a SWG, you really need a TF-100 or K2006C to properly care for and balance your pool water. If you haven't drained in 3 years, chances are your CH is over 750 if you aren't using soft water for make up water (do to evaporation).

It might be worth a trip into AJ or Mesa for a chlorine run every couple of weeks. HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc usually have a good stock this time of year.

Just adding more salt will NOT affect the chlorine or CYA level. If I do not use tablets I will have to use liquid Chlorine, the only other alternative is to add a swg but I have been there and done that in the 50 years I have operated a pool here in AZ and would not want to go back to that as it was a time consuming nightmare in cleaning the cell daily and cost of yearly replacement.
Not sure what generation of swg you are referring to. Many, many people on here operate swg with only annual or less frequent cleaning of cells. This is partly due to proper water balance including CSI within recommended TFP range and due to improvements in catalyst performance in modern cells. Pool care is truly easy with TFP methods for liquid chlorine and salt/swg. Those that use salt "trade" jug-lugging for annual or so cell cleaning. Fair trade to me but regardless both work. If this isn't working for you I would examine closely your attention to the methods. It should work just as well for you as it does everybody else.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

....I Vote 🙋‍♀️ Jug lugging! ...over weekly cleaning -it’s good excercise

To clear up a few misunderstandings, the SWG I had been using was a Zodiac model C170. If it needed cleaning only once a week I would not have minded, but I had to do it daily as the plates became bridged with white calcium deposits. Also the cell s only lasted for one season. Since using liquid chlorine the white deposits around the tile line have greatly diminished. I drain the pool once every other year when the hardness goes to 800ppm and refill with a 50 50 mix of regular and softened water which usually results in a 250 ish startup. Only downside of the liquid cl is having to get it and store it. Normally I add 32 oz every evening and manage to maintain a FC level of 3, but need to add 16 oz acid every 3 days. Never had any algae problems.

I feel your original swg issue with scaling probaby had a lot to do with not tracking your csi & could have possibly been remedied. If u ever decide to go the swg route again we can help u get that sorteD out.
All that aside the issue with using the pucks for daily chlorination is that you have a constantly moving fc target since you’re adding cya daily. As you have experienced. Some people get away with it somewhat for a while by vacuuming to waste weekly & refilling. In a pinch/pandemic you gotta do what u gotta do.
If you’re able, switch back to lc asap.

You mention maintaining a fc of 3ppm .
that is way to low for sanitation unless your cya is/was 20 or less. People tend to confuse minimum & target.
The minimum is just that - minimally keeping nasties at bay.
The higher Target for your cya is what to aim for when dosing as per the FC/CYA Levels.
If you’re cya is 70 then 10ppm fc is your target 🎯.
If you wanna maintain a lower target - u gotta drain some of that h20.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.