How long can SLAMs run?

DE filter opened and cleaned well. There was no green color on filter screens. They really looked pretty good but it was a good time to do it. Especially with this persistent CC mystery hanging over my pool serenity. Gave pool wall tile interstices a good brush down. Trimmed jasmine and other poolside vegetation that tends to grow over pool edge and dip into water. You can see it vaguely on the back of my avatar photo. Let's see...

I had a look at your past threads, and wonder about the garden at the back. Is there a barrier to runoff? If so, no help, just a thought. If possible, a barrier and some drain pipe could prevent it. It looks like some rocks there that might need benefit from a scrub with some diluted bleach maybe, but I may be just grasping at straws.

Persistent high CC for 3 weeks

I need help. I began a green algae SLAM 23 days ago. Back then there were 6 or so hand sized patches of algae on walls, water clear. Since Day 2 SLAM no visible algae, water clear. I am unable to reach SLAM completion due to persistence of CC between 1.0 - 2.5, usually 1.5. Running out of ideas I raised FC to mustard algae SLAM 6:30 pm yesterday. Today's numbers:
FC 22.5
CC 1.5
CYA 30
TA 50
Borate 40

About 10 days ago I added trichlor pucks to feeder to raise CYA from high 20's to mid 30's (using Pool Math). CYA has rapidly drifted back down into high 20's by yesterday's reading. There have been several inches of rain during the SLAM. Pool overflows. Cleaned DE screens 2 days ago. Screens were caked but no green visible. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Previous thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/117803-How-long-can-SLAMs-run. Started this new one as it seemed the old thread was losing steam.
I've never quite understood how to distinguish green algae from mustard algae.

Re: Persistent high CC for 3 weeks

Scrub your light niches and ladders. Brush the whole pool, including inside of skimmers. If it looks like it doesn't need brushed, BRUSH IT and continue to SLAM the pool until you pass the OCLT.

Re: Persistent high CC for 3 weeks

It is a mistake to start a new thread. Folks that were following your post have lost you.

The CC's test tells us that your pool has chloramines in it. a result of chlorine combining with organics.

There's no getting around it, you have to SLAM until your CC's are .5 ppm or less.

I committed TFP SLAM heresy but so far so good

I was into my fourth week on a SLAM. Pool water had been clear from get go, began SLAM because about 6 hand-sized green algae patches had appeared on walls. I was never able to terminate SLAM due to persistent elevated CC, 1.5 - 2.5. OCLT and water clarity were good. Scrubbed light niche though nothing visible there. I went to a Mustard Algae FC level for 24 hours, then ended SLAM, last SLAM CC was 1.5. SLAM end was 6/16/2016.
So far, I am topping off FC at 6.0 each evening. Tonight's results:
FC 4.0
CC 0.5
TA 80
pH 7.5
CYA 30
CH 325
Borate (approx.) 44
So far, so good. Anyone know how to explain my endless SLAM and current OK status? Obvious answer is there is still algae lurking, ready to pounce.
I'm trying to learn from my own and anyone else's experience. Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: I committed TFP SLAM heresy but so far so good

When was the last time you tore apart your filter and cleaned it all out? Not backwashing but a tear down and clean.

There are rules for the SLAM, but also every pool is different... ?

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8,400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 3,000 GPH pump with 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test

I'll assume you're not adding any weird chemicals to your pool like Polyquat-60 algaecide, non-chlorine shock of Jack's Magic Blue Stuff?

When you raise your FC up to shock levels is that when the elevated CCs appear?

Yes, the CC on the day I saw the algae growth was 1.0, up from the typical 0.5. The first evening of the SLAM:
FC 20.0
CC 1.5
pH7.2
CYA 40
TA 70
CH 300
Borate 40
From that point on, during 23 days of SLAM, CC ranged from 1.0 - 2.5.

Ronald U,

It looks like you have three simultaneous threads running for the same issue. When we see that, most of us have no idea which thread to answer so we ignor it and move on to another post. I am closing your other threads. Please keep every post you make in this one thread. It is quite confusing to run multiple threads.

I could be way off base here, but you had to top off your CYA a couple of times in a month with high CC. Just wondered if something was very slowly converting cya to ammonia (usually has high fc loss) or into something else that measured as cc's???

Or maybe you always read CYA on the low side and you didnt slam high enough

Just throwing thoughts out there as i am a newbie

I've been SLAMMING for nearly 45 days. (Stay the course or is a change in direction necessary) I never saw any signs of algae except a little cloudiness in the water. I did however noticed my CC was over 1.5 ppm, so I started SLAMMING. I've had to come down to normal numbers twice in that time period for just a day to adjust PH. But then, right back up. I won't lie, I've been frustrated and even considered abandoning the SLAM protocol as well.
I've had many suggestions from the forum. Things I never thought of that may be the cause. ( Deep cleaning the sand filter, stagnant water in the pole for brushing and vacuuming, the underside of my Intex over the wall floating skimmer cover, etc.) I have tried and implemented them all. So even though the SLAM has been dragging on, I've learned a bunch from everyone. And the encouragement to keep it up has been very helpful. I'm still at it, but I believe I'm turning for home.
Im a newbee , but I think if you stop the SLAM, and the numbers are still off, you will without question have an algae bloom, complicating your problems. The numbers don't lie.
I say, trust the numbers, trust the TFP method, and trust the advice. Your only out a little time, a little bleach and a little more regeant than usual. Pool will be clear and safe to swim in if you keep the numbers up. So, I say take care of your water and enjoy the summer
Happy Hunting.....

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.