How likely are pets (cats) to suffer salt poisoning?

No Way Reaction GIF

My cat's been drinking from the pool. I think she's doing it because the salinity is low right now (1400ppm). I just had an ominous conversation w/the vet about the danger of salt poisoning. She wouldn't commit to a safe level, so I'm having to play it safe by cutting it short. Tomorrow I'm going to be calling around other vets to get their input, but until then, does anyone here know anything about this? I've tried Googling it, but most of the material I'm finding is about dogs and it seems like dogs aren't quite so threatened by salt.
The reason my salt is low is that I'm nearing the end of the season, so I was just going to get by on chlorine until the fall. But now I'm wondering if I should crank up the salt to the 3000ppm range, so the cat will be warded off by the taste. Obviously, increasing the amount of poison seems like a backwards way of handling this, so I just want to be very careful.
Hi
James asked me to give an opinion on this as a cat veterinarian

Usual caveat is I have not seen the patient and can’t therefore cannot provide specific medical advice

But…
1. Your vet is being cautious and was likely recommending basic labs that would measure kittys electrolytes (sodium in particular) to determine if there is even a problem
2. Total sodium intake is the issue not the concentration. The most common salt water intoxication episodes usually surround the dog taken to the beach all day and not given fresh water. This can lead to sodium levels high enough to cause brain swelling and seizures not likely to happen due to a SWG pool
3. Be practical. Provide fresh water for the cat while out on the patio. My cats spend the day on the pool deck with shade and water. They love it outside. Even in SW Florida
4 the biggest threats to your cat is the heat if there is no fresh water and shade. And your cat drowning if they fall in the pool and you are not there to get em out. Cats can swim but rarely find the steps

Hope that is helpful

Hi
James asked me to give an opinion on this as a cat veterinarian

Usual caveat is I have not seen the patient and can’t therefore cannot provide specific medical advice

But…
1. Your vet is being cautious and was likely recommending basic labs that would measure kittys electrolytes (sodium in particular) to determine if there is even a problem
2. Total sodium intake is the issue not the concentration. The most common salt water intoxication episodes usually surround the dog taken to the beach all day and not given fresh water. This can lead to sodium levels high enough to cause brain swelling and seizures not likely to happen due to a SWG pool
3. Be practical. Provide fresh water for the cat while out on the patio. My cats spend the day on the pool deck with shade and water. They love it outside. Even in SW Florida
4 the biggest threats to your cat is the heat if there is no fresh water and shade. And your cat drowning if they fall in the pool and you are not there to get em out. Cats can swim but rarely find the steps

Hope that is helpful
Last one is scary, we had an older dog ( chihuahua ) who was 90% blind and I got her out of the pool 2 or 3 times. The last time she was about to drown but I heard her and got her out.
I can’t imagine if I hadn’t found her in time.

All pets should be put on the steps a few times so they understand where the steps are and how to get out.
We practiced both dogs. Our chihuahua intuitively scrambled to the shallow ledge. Though the english bulldog can somewhat tread water, she panics more and will always go nearest side. Bout the best we can hope for is that she hangs there till help comes. I still watch them like a hawk since neither are true water dogs.

Reactions: JamesW
For this reason especially, we keep our cat on a harness and leash when we take her outside. I remember a couple of years ago there was a squirrel that drank from the pool on a daily basis. I put one of those aluminum foil throw away pans full of fresh water out for it, but it still preferred the pool. I was just waiting for it to puncture a hole in our vinyl liner with its nails, but thankfully that never happened.

One day the squirrel was drinking from the pool, when it keeled over and died. It was too late by the time I got there with the leaf net. I don't think it was the salt that had affected it but rather it was already sick.

For this reason especially, we keep our cat on a harness and leash when we take her outside. I remember a couple of years ago there was a squirrel that drank from the pool on a daily basis. I put one of those aluminum foil throw away pans full of fresh water out for it, but it still preferred the pool. I was just waiting for it to puncture a hole in our vinyl liner with its nails, but thankfully that never happened.

One day the squirrel was drinking from the pool, when it keeled over and died. It was too late by the time I got there with the leaf net. I don't think it was the salt that had affected it but rather it was already sick.
If I was concerned, it would be about the CYA rather than salt. I like my steak with a good sprinkle of sea salt on it, but don’t sprinkle cyanurates on anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.