How important is it to get the pool clean/clear before closing?

edschwartz

Jun 21, 2016
Lancaster, PA
It was a rough season maintenance wise. Both my pump and SWG failed. The good news is that I was able to fix both myself (replacing a capacitor and thermistor respectively), and they both happened at the tail end of the season, so little swimming time was actually lost. Anyway, since it was basically the end of our season, I never bothered to get the pool chemistry back to normal, and it's a bit of a swamp :eek: How important is it for me to get things clear again before closing? I guess what I am asking is, should I bother to SLAM the pool before closing? My water is usually green when I open anyway, so kind of wondering what the point is. I assume the algae would die over the winter anyway.

Thanks!

Pool water, if closed properly and following the "close late-open early concept, "should" be relatively clear at opening. Since you seem to typically open with green water, it would appear something was not ideal at closing. If you have time, a SLAM would be ideal. If not, it sounds as though you are accustomed to doing a SLAM in the spring anyway. Not the worst thing.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.