How I Spent My Summer (aka: Where the Heck Has Dirk Been?!?)

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It's rainy today, so I'm trapped inside. Why not hang out at TFP!?!

If anyone's been wondering why I've been mostly AWOL from TFP, here's the tale. In my defense, I did answer all my private messages, and even chimed in here and there as time permitted. And that's been the challenge, the time permitted. In addition to my two jobs, child care, elder care and taking care of my house and pool and myself (more elder care), I got into some massive home-improvement projects this past year.

Some of this is semi-pool-related, some maybe not, but most of it might be of interest to those who, like me, are in constant search of making their life a little bit better, and a little bit easier.

In no particular order...

SMALL ANIMAL DEFENSE SYSTEM

Since I moved here, I've been in a constant battle with the small animals that live just beyond my pool's fence. Little b's dig up my yard, eat my plants (and all my fruit). They even ate one of my trees!! Gophers mostly, but I've had run-ins with moles, squirrels, raccoons, possums, cats... you name it. I first tried traps (too much trouble), then poison (I know, I know). Both worked, kinda, but the problem was: killing small animals (the ethics of that aside) doesn't get rid of them. It just frees up their territory and dens for the next batch of relatives to move in! So a few years ago I got serious and put more than half of my plants in pots. That solved the problem for those plants (and it made for an interesting landscape look), but the other plants and trees were still susceptible, and that didn't stop the critters from digging up the yard, and eating an entire half of a beautiful lawn!

OK, so then I had to get really serious!! I had already purchased a large roll of stainless steel mesh (3/4" grid: 4' x 100'). I had intended to lay that under the lawn I was going to have to replace. But I realized that wouldn't solve all the gopher problems, only for the lawn. So I went back to the website I purchased the wire from, Gophers Limited, and studied their alternative solution. Gopher fence! So I bought even more wire and built one:

gopher fence.jpg

I hired a big guy and rented a Ditch Witch (those things are awesome!). What would have taken me weeks, and a trip to the hospital, he did in 45 minutes. He "witched" a 2' x 6" trench the entire width of my backyard, some 150' or so. I then laid in the pre-formed wire fencing (I can share how I did all this with anyone interested), and then installed the PVC supports. The wire (4' wide, remember) is bent in two places, to make a 6" shelf on top, and a 6" shelf on the bottom. This, theoretically, keeps animals from climbing over it, and gophers from burrowing under it. They generally tunnel about a foot deep, or crawl across the surface, so this fence is 12" above ground, and 24" below. If they try to go underneath, they hit the bottom shelf and give up. (I hope!)

But I wasn't convinced that would work against raccoons (who took out an entire planting bed one night), so I mounted two electric shock wires above the gopher fence, threaded through the PVC uprights. That runs 24-7. Hard to see in the pics, but one is close enough to the top shelf to deter small animals, and the other is at the top of the posts to keep larger critters from stepping over.

Problems solved!!! (So far...) All summer and fall: animal free. No lost plants. No dug-up yard. And no killing of animals (including no dead gophers and moles in the pool skimmer). Might sound like overkill, but it was worth it to me. Not to mention I lost about 10 lbs installing it!!

REWIRED BACK YARD

As I continue to expand my electrical system in my backyard, I had to finally admit I'd been doing it wrong. I was using extension cords, mostly, and they kept growing in length and quantity. All buried under mulch, or running on top of the dirt behind my pool fence. Easy to run, yes. Safe... not really. So I ripped it all out and laid down proper conduit, running from my junction box to three waterproof outlets. Each of the six plugs (2 per outlet x 3) is on a separate line, so I can control each thing plugged in separately, as they are all connected to my home automation (HA) controller. There are still some short extension cords to get from the outlets to the devices (like the fountain, or the bug zapper), some amount of that is unavoidable. But it's now much safer, and to code. It all runs off a GFI circuit, which is both properly grounded and bonded to the pool. I feel much better about all that now.

Here's the junction box where all the devices meet their HA controllers:

junction box.jpg

And one of the three waterproof outlets into which I plug everything:

outlet.jpg

So far: fountain, bug zapper, pool light, citrus tree warmer, garden lights. Future plans include a second citrus tree and maybe some bistro lights on the pool fence.

Citrus tree heater (old-style incandescent Christmas lights):

citrus heater.jpg

My near-future life might include some travel, a week or two at a time. Some of my projects were, in no small part, intended to make it possible for me to leave my house unattended for long stretches. I spent some coin when I first moved in on pool automation for that reason. And some of these next projects were inspired similarly.

LAWN REPLACEMENT

With one lawn half eaten, and the others giving me grief in terms of maintenance and expense, I decided to take them all out. I had four lawns. I liked looking at them, but nothing else about them. Plus, where I live, it seemed that they only looked good a few weeks a year, a few in the spring, the a few in the fall, otherwise: brown in the winter, brown in the summer! Not a particularly good ROI, for sure.

So, I called in the "big guy" again, and rented a sod cutter, and he and I proceeded to rip out the four lawns. Thanks to the cutter, that only took about a day. I waited a few weeks to make sure all the grass was gone, then I rented a one-man post hole digger and dug out about 40 holes: 12" deep, 12" around. I can't say enough about renting this "big" equipment. $100-$200 a pop, but worth every penny!! I dug those 40 holes in a few hours! And I did call 811 beforehand, to make sure I didn't strike gold! Glad I did, too. I kinda knew where my utilities ran, but I didn't realize the whole street's main power lines run under the front part of my property, right where I was digging holes!! Yikes.

I then filled those holes with amended soil, and planted about 120 small Myoporum plants (three in each hole). Myoporum is great: it eventually grows to about 9' in diameter, but doesn't re-root along the way, so you only have to water it at its original root, with drip, not sprinklers. And a whole lot less water than grass. And no mowing! It grows to about 4-6" thick, and then that's it. No trimming (except the edges). You can't play on it, but you can walk across it when you have to. Perfect for me and my family's lifestyle.

Here's two of the four new "lawns. The new plants on this first one are stretching out to meet the existing Myoporum the previous owners planted years ago. It's still looks good, and pretty green for December. That's how I knew it would be a good choice:

myoporum 1.jpg

myoporum 2.jpg

Not sure why some areas are growing so much faster than others, but eventually it'll all grow in and from not-too-far-away it'll look much like the lawns they replaced. Considering each bunch started out as one- or two-twig plants, they're doing pretty well. And they're evergreen, so they'll look much better year-round, way better than my lawns did, for sure.

Problem solved. Very little water, very little maintenance, and will definitely survive my one or two weeks away, without worry.

RECONFIGURED DRIP IRRIGATION

To accommodate the new "lawns," I took on a complete reconfiguration of my entire drip system. I added valves, ran drip to all the 40 new plantings, and ran more lines to better separate the other areas of my garden. Instead of just zones, I separated out plant types, to better fine tune their watering needs. So, for example, all the Myoporum is on a dedicated valve. My trees on another. All pots on a third. My redwood trees on yet another, etc. This way, I can dial in just what those plants need. The goal being to end up with healthier plants and a smaller water bill. In this last year I've already seen both.

Oh, and because I sent in the requisite photos and forms, the city paid me $500 and the state paid me $1500 to replace all that lawn. So, labor aside, the materials and rentals for the entire two projects, lawns and irrigation, were "free."

See Part 2...

Last edited:
Oops, too many pics, here's part 2:

LARGE ANIMAL DEFENSE SYSTEM

I've been chasing a home surveillance system for decades. I finally got it done. Ten cameras (four outside) keep an eye on my house and yard. I can go away and feel better about it by keeping a watch on things. I don't think I'll likely catch anything "in the act," but I can monitor my interior, all the doors and locks, my stove and oven, my gardens and my pool, most everything, from afar. If anything's amiss, I have neighbors who will come to my rescue. Peace of mind, more than anything else. But that honkin' cam in the front yard says loud and clear "Go rob the next house down the street, you're not going to do well here!"

All the cameras are PTZ (pan, tilt zoom) so I can look around. And most are POE (power over ethernet), so installation was slightly easier, because the POE cams only require an ethernet cable, they don't need a separate power supply. I still had to spend a day in the attic, punching holes and running wires, but now that it's done, it's nice to be able to "check things out" from wherever I happen to be (home or away). Even when I'm home, I can keep an eye on the mail box, front door deliveries, weather, visitors at the front door, etc. The kids love the cams, little hambones they are, though they've found the cam in their room and usually stack a bunch of stuff in front of it!

Here's one of my ceiling installations. I fabricated it out of a can lighting fixture. It came out pretty good. It's not inconspicuous, by any means, but it's not much worse that all the can lighting, speaker covers and furnace vents I have up there anyway:

celling cam.jpg

For the pool, I have an amazing camera that can really "put me there." I can check the water color, I can see the bottom, and even zoom in to check the water level or any forming calcium or algae (not that I've ever had either, thanks to TFP). But, again, while away, it'll be comforting to be able to keep an eye on my pool (thanks to Marty for that idea). It's got 12x optical zoom, so the closeups are all lens, not digital. The video and stills are pretty amazing on a computer screen.

The outdoor cams are big, but I built boxes for them, painted to match the house. That disguises them a bit, and helps protect them from weather and vandals. I didn't want them completely hidden anyway. Part of the security of a video system is letting crooks know the system exists.

Pool-Cam 7-2019-12-08-15-39-22.jpg

Pool-Cam 7-2019-12-08-15-40-10.jpg

It's gloomy out today, but i can still see the pebbles. On a sunny day I can really get a good look at the vac and the pool surface:

Pool-Cam 7-2019-12-08-15-42-20.jpg

HOME AUTOMATION SYSTEM

OK, not exactly pool/yard related, but, like the video, I've been chasing a decent home automation system for decades, starting with X-10 (for those of you who might know what that is). Years ago I upgraded to Insteon's mesh system, but that didn't work much better. So much time. So much money. It never worked that great. Until this year! I completely overhauled the entire system, replacing older devices, upgrading the computer and hub, reconfiguring the software and re-coding all the scripts. It finally works like I had always imagined. The list is quite extensive, but here's a partial one... I can:
- control all lights, inside and out
- control HVAC and house fans
- control whole-house audio and all AV equipment in all rooms
- control and program irrigation
- open/close the garage door
- open/close the window blinds
- etc.

All this "control" is available via all my computers, some hand held remotes, a wall panel, and my iPads and iPhones, etc, home or away.

But that's just the easy stuff. Coding and scripting allows me to:
- receive an alert when the garage door is left open (alerts are via digital and physical warning lights, email, text, and pop-up computer reminders)
- receive an alert if I forget to reconnect the pool vacuum after a party
- receive an alert when the temperature is going to drop at night
- receive an alert if something is amiss (like if an irrigation valve doesn't turn off when it's supposed to)
- etc

And the system runs all my light timers, while home and away; turns on my citrus tree heaters when the nights get too cold (and reminds me ahead of time, based on the weather forecast, to cover them with blankets); fires up AV equipment depending on what I'm in the mood for (Netflix, DVD, iTunes, etc); controls things based on sunset and sunrise; whether I'm home or not, etc, etc. Lots of other capabilities, too.

The hardware is cool, as well. One example: with the same wall switch: I can turn on/off a light, or dim/brighten it, or double-click it to turn everything in the room off, or turn a bunch of stuff on (TV, stereo, fireplace, whatever, plus lighting (if it's dark)).

Like a said, that's just a glimpse. I finally got it all working reliably, virtually 100%. Will the system ever save me the amount of time and trouble it took to build it (three times!!)? I don't know. I liked building it, and I like geeking it, so I don't really count that effort. Now that it's working, its capabilities and convenience are pretty awesome, I don't mind saying.

And I finally finished the "sub-fantasy" of a built-in touch screen running it all (finally have a use for my old iPad gen 1). I built a frame for it and put it on the wall next to "command central" with the thermostat and pool remote. Even non-geeky guests have been impressed with that! Look, how even as a baby, I can't help but stare at it in awe!! :geek:

control central.jpg

MISC PROJECTS

And, of course, a ton of smaller misc projects I've been putting off since I moved here. Five years later and I still have three boxes left to unpack. But that's now down from six! Hung pictures, painted walls, lots of repairs, gardening, adding storage, replaced my entire office computer setup, etc. I don't know, I've already forgotten half of what I've been doing!

So that's the dealio. I've got one more big project (of course, I've been saying that for the last five). So that'll be my winter gig (master bedroom closet). Reality: I'll never be done. I like working on my house and yard and pool. It's what I do. It generally pays off, in lots of ways. But I have to squeeze that in around family and friends and me. And TFP, of course...

Feel free to comment, and/or PM me if you'd like details about any of these projects. At least within their scope I'm now somewhat of an expert...

So, yep, I'm still around. And still able to fill a forum page with an endless post! I know you all missed that!! Who knows, maybe I'll take next summer off just to enjoy all this junk. Yah... right... :cool:

Cheers, and happy holidays to all!!

Last edited:
Ohhhhhhh how I’ve missed the eye bleeding, sandwich needing, long winded posts of yours!!
I’m glad you got all that done this year, as come next pool season, we’ll be needing our resident “ethical code” enforcement officer back on full time duty!!! ?‍♂️ :cheers:

• Haha
Reactions: Leebo
Ohhhhhhh how I’ve missed the eye bleeding, sandwich needing, long winded posts of yours!!
I’m glad you got all that done this year, as come next pool season, we’ll be needing our resident “ethical code” enforcement officer back on full time duty!!! ?‍♂️ :cheers:

:devilish:..... he's all talk. I saved all that self incriminating extension cord code violation talk.

Safety never takes a vacation.... except when the correct way of doing something is just too much work ?

:devilish:..... he's all talk. I saved all that self incriminating extension cord code violation talk.

Safety never takes a vacation.... except when the correct way of doing something is just too much work ?
Hey, do as I say, not as I do!!

I just re-read/re-edited my posts. For some reason I feel like having a sandwich now... :wink:

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Ok time to geek out. What are you using for av control. I just dumped irule after 12 years and went to demopad and I’m very happy. I also just dumped hai for automation cause Leviton dropped them and I’m ticked off so I ripped it out and I’m using Vera again for all non av stuff.

Sorry, I don't recognize any of those products or brands.

I have two IRTrans units (small controller boxes that emit infrared), one at each AV setup in my house (TVs, Receivers, etc). They receive commands via ethernet, and blast the room with infrared. There is software available that will "talk" to the IRTrans, and allow you to program control, but I got frustrated with that and figured out how to go about it another way. The IRTrans has a built in web server, which accepts URLs (like from a browser, or other software capable of requesting URLs), and converts the URLs into infrared signals. Which means a lot of different things could run the AV gear. My home automation software (which is Indigo running on a Mac Mini computer) can request the URLs, and so in my setup, Indigo controls the AV equipment. Exactly the same for my cams, which also have built-in web servers. Indigo has tools that allow you to create custom control pages, so they can look, and work, any way you want. You place buttons on the pages, graphics, too, whatever, and those all become controls. You then tell Indigo what you want the controls to do, and then access the pages via phone or tablet or computer (using Indigo for Mac or Indigo apps for phones and pads). There is some setup to do, obviously, but once you get the hang of it, the customization allows you to do pretty much anything. With the same interface (the pages) I can control AV, cams, lights, HVAC, irrigation, etc, etc. Third parties develop plug-ins (software) for Indigo, which expands its capabilities even further (like a free software module that controls my window shades, or another that gives me local weather data). I could go on and on.

I never explored other options, once I got the hang of Indigo running everything, I just kept expanding it. The software is developed by two guys that stay on top of the industry and all the hardware products, and it it very reliable (I've never actually had it crash on me). What I appreciate most, is that I don't have to kludge together different solutions, and hop from one app to another. Everything is run by Indigo, from the one set of pages I use to control it all (geez, I just heard myself, I sound like Gandalf!!).

It's missing voice automation (though there is a work-around, it's just not built in), but that's about all I can think of that I wish it could do. The Indigo developers will probably get to that at some point.

Oh, and it's missing pool control, but that's solely Pentair's fault. They don't publish APIs for anybody to build anything that can control their products, so you have to buy Pentair-only stuff for that (at their outrageous prices).

Frankly, because of the nature of pool automation (pumps, and large volumes of water and potentially dangerous chemicals, etc), I'm OK with leaving that to Pentair. If they allowed control of their systems by third parties, who knows what could go wrong, and if it did, all the companies involved would all be blaming all the others. Pentair retains their proprietary hooks (and profit), but that means they're 100% liable, too.

The control pages can be as simple or as complex as you want. I have both flavors, depending on the granular level I need. This one, which I use in the car (on my iPhone), lessens the likelihood I'll plow into someone while trying to turn my furnace on before I get home:

car.png

And this one, for at home on my iPads and wall unit, controls most everything, though nobody but me could probably use it! But this illustrates the variety of types of control Indigo provides, all in one place. From this one page, I can control all my lights, my heater, my office equipment (monitors and hard drives), iTunes, my sprinklers, NOAA weather, my stereos, my window shades, my garage door opener, my outdoor fountain and bug zapper... even my pool light. I even drag out custom graphics this time of year (like I do the decorations) for the Christmas lights, inside and out...

house.png

I have other pages for video surveillance, and one that simulates all the AV remotes. And then Indigo can schedule things, warn about things, control things based on weather, or time of day, or who's home... like I said, on and on. You get the idea...

There, is that geeky enough for ya! :shock:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I have two IRTrans units (small controller boxes that emit infrared), one at each AV setup in my house (TVs, Receivers, etc). They receive commands via ethernet, and blast the room with infrared. There is software available that will "talk" to the IRTrans, and allow you to program control, but I got frustrated with that and figured out how to go about it another way. The IRTrans has a built in web server, which accepts URLs (like from a browser, or other software capable of requesting URLs), and converts the URLs into infrared signals. Which means a lot of different things could run the AV gear. My home automation software (which is Indigo running on a Mac Mini computer) can request the URLs, and so in my setup, Indigo controls the AV equipment. Exactly the same for my cams, which also have built-in web servers. Indigo has tools that allow you to create custom control pages, so they can look, and work, any way you want. You place buttons on the pages, graphics, too, whatever, and those all become controls. You then tell Indigo what you want the controls to do, and then access the pages via phone or tablet or computer (using Indigo for Mac or Indigo apps for phones and pads). There is some setup to do, obviously, but once you get the hang of it, the customization allows you to do pretty much anything. With the same interface (the pages) I can control AV, cams, lights, HVAC, irrigation, etc, etc. Third parties develop plug-ins (software) for Indigo, which expands its capabilities even further (like a free software module that controls my window shades, or another that gives me local weather data). I could go on and on.

I never explored other options, once I got the hang of Indigo running everything, I just kept expanding it. The software is developed by two guys that stay on top of the industry and all the hardware products, and it it very reliable (I've never actually had it crash on me). What I appreciate most, is that I don't have to kludge together different solutions, and hop from one app to another. Everything is run by Indigo, from the one set of pages I use to control it all (geez, I just heard myself, I sound like Gandalf!!).

It's missing voice automation (though there is a work-around, it's just not built in), but that's about all I can think of that I wish it could do. The Indigo developers will probably get to that at some point.

Oh, and it's missing pool control, but that's solely Pentair's fault. They don't publish APIs for anybody to build anything that can control their products, so you have to buy Pentair-only stuff for that (at their outrageous prices).

Frankly, because of the nature of pool automation (pumps, and large volumes of water and potentially dangerous chemicals, etc), I'm OK with leaving that to Pentair. If they allowed control of their systems by third parties, who knows what could go wrong, and if it did, all the companies involved would all be blaming all the others. Pentair retains their proprietary hooks (and profit), but that means they're 100% liable, too.

The control pages can be as simple or as complex as you want. I have both flavors, depending on the granular level I need. This one, which I use in the car (on my iPhone), lessens the likelihood I'll plow into someone while trying to turn my furnace on before I get home:

View attachment 123772

And this one, for at home on my iPads and wall unit, controls most everything, though nobody but me could probably use it! But this illustrates the variety of types of control Indigo provides, all in one place. From this one page, I can control all my lights, my heater, my office equipment (monitors and hard drives), iTunes, my sprinklers, NOAA weather, my stereos, my window shades, my garage door opener, my outdoor fountain and bug zapper... even my pool light. I even drag out custom graphics this time of year (like I do the decorations) for the Christmas lights, inside and out...

View attachment 123773

I have other pages for video surveillance, and one that simulates all the AV remotes. And then Indigo can schedule things, warn about things, control things based on weather, or time of day, or who's home... like I said, on and on. You get the idea...

I use the same devices for all my av control. I use itach’s from global cache that take commands over ethernet and convert them to ir.

I have heard of indigo. That was the one that worked on Mac’s. I remember it. My software is demopad but used to be irule that I mentioned. Same as ur indigo.

IRule has a lot of modules that I was able to integrate more automation for lights and that kinda stuff. Demopad doesn’t so that’s why I use Vera now. I was an hai dealer so when Leviton dumped it I switched back to Vera.

Ur layout looks nice. I want to do that In my house but never got around to it. I just got done redoing my house av for demopad but luckily I was able to use all my icons I made in photoshop over the years for irule and take a lot of iRule a icons for my new build.

I'll check out itach. The IRTrans are crazy expensive now, and I made the mistake of selling my third one, for about half the cost of new. I thought I'd never need it. But if (when) one of my IRTrans stops working, I'm gonna wish I had that spare. So if there are other devices out there that work as well, I'll rethink if other devices are significantly less expensive.

Yes, Indigo is Mac, and only Mac (as am I)...

View attachment 123772

View attachment 123773

:) Damm you guys have some serious stuff, not sure if I know what to do with it. I am just a simple guy with a few toys, that I can run and see on my iphone including Skybell for front door, Rachio irrigation system, Aquanta water heater, Nest thermostat, Nest cam, My Q garage opener, My Acurite weather station, Alexa running my smart TV and Yamaha AV receiver and Running a separate security camera system running iUMS with 10 cameras all running on a Ubiquiti net work with an internal GBs speeds with gateway and 2 APs

Last edited:
I'll check out itach. The IRTrans are crazy expensive now, and I made the mistake of selling my third one, for about half the cost of new. I thought I'd never need it. But if (when) one of my IRTrans stops working, I'm gonna wish I had that spare. So if there are other devices out there that work as well, I'll rethink if other devices are significantly less expensive.

Yes, Indigo is Mac, and only Mac (as am I)...

Same here only Mac. I’m actually setting up a new 16 inch MacBook Pro that is decked out with 64gb of ram cause Photography is my main hobby.

Itaches r 100.00 a piece. They come in wired and wireless for internet connection. I only used wired ones on jobs and in my house. I give them static ip’s for obvious reasons. They make ir versions and serial versions in case u still have anything that is serial.

They also have little Mac apps for debugging and for learning commands from remotes if u can’t find it codes. Each it’s hard has a learner built into them.

Cause u are a Mac guy. If u are running Catalina the itach learning app wont run. It’s not 64 bit so have a Mac with Mohave or lower for that. Just figured I would tell you. Catalina has been a pain so far.

I’ll post some of my iPad setups that demopad can produce if you are looking for something to Toy with for looks. Thier builder is windows based so I used it over parallels on my Mac with windows 10. Irule was cloud based which was nice but the owner sold it to a Kramer a dealer only company. Demopad is diy.

:) Damm you guys have some serious stuff, not sure if I know what to do with it. I am just a simple guy with a few toys, that I can run and see on my iphone including Skybell for front door, Rachio irrigation system, Aquanta water heater, Nest thermostat, Nest cam, My Q garage opener, My Acurite weather station, Alexa running my smart TV and Yamaha AV receiver and Running a separate security camera system running iUMS with 10 cameras all running on a Ubiquiti net work with an internal GBs speeds with gateway and 2 APs

How do u like ur rachio. There is a plug in for automation hub for them. Right now I have a hunter thst is not online but I also use etherrain for net control but they closed up shop so I was going to switch to rachio for when not home but still let my hunter deal with schedules. Pretty mich I just want manual control for when away.

How do u like ur rachio. There is a plug in for automation hub for them. Right now I have a hunter thst is not online but I also use etherrain for net control but they closed up shop so I was going to switch to rachio for when not home but still let my hunter deal with schedules. Pretty mich I just want manual control for when away.
Luv my Rachio. I have the second generation. Water here in florida is very expensive so it really has paid back :cheers:

Ha, you've got quite a collection yourself. But you're also kinda making my point for me. Do you have to use a separate app for each of those? And are there laptop/desktop apps for those, too? That's what I've endeavored to avoid. The goal is for all the control in one place, within one app, that runs on phones, pads, laptops, desktops, and all browsers. That's Indigo.

Same here only Mac. I’m actually setting up a new 16 inch MacBook Pro that is decked out with 64gb of ram cause Photography is my main hobby.

Itaches r 100.00 a piece. They come in wired and wireless for internet connection. I only used wired ones on jobs and in my house. I give them static ip’s for obvious reasons. They make ir versions and serial versions in case u still have anything that is serial.

They also have little Mac apps for debugging and for learning commands from remotes if u can’t find it codes. Each it’s hard has a learner built into them.

Cause u are a Mac guy. If u are running Catalina the itach learning app wont run. It’s not 64 bit so have a Mac with Mohave or lower for that. Just figured I would tell you. Catalina has been a pain so far.

I’ll post some of my iPad setups that demopad can produce if you are looking for something to Toy with for looks. Thier builder is windows based so I used it over parallels on my Mac with windows 10. Irule was cloud based which was nice but the owner sold it to a Kramer a dealer only company. Demopad is diy.

This is all very good to know. Thanks jim.

Don't get me started on the new MacBook Pros. I've been waiting for them to ditch the butterflies. That seems to be done. But that darn strip has got to go. I may be the last one, but automation is my thing (obviously), and F-keys play a huge part in my workflow. That strip is worthless to me, I need those 12/15 keys big time. I extend all my apps using Keyboard Maestro, using the Control key (with and without the other modifiers) with various letters and numbers, and the F-keys for everything else. I must have a few hundred macros set up in KM. And Catalina!?! No thanks. I still have some mission-critical 32-bit apps that I can't do without. I may have to use virtualization for those, but that's gong to suck. Some of those old apps talk to each other via AppleScript, so I don't even know yet if virtualization is going to work in that way. One developer in particular (SuperCard, in which I create custom apps) is way behind. He's known about the 64-bit future for years now. Frustrating. I'm stuck on Mojave until I can go full 64.

They're slowing getting it (Apple). We got the escape key back. And they separated off the fingerprint scanner, too. The strip is getting shorter!! But Apple is so stubborn when they need to admit their mistakes. I'm hoping for a scissor-key-f-key model in 2020... I know I can't hope for any 32-bit resurrection!

I, too, use only wired. No wi-fi for me, not for anything I need to be reliable. I even hardwired my Pentair wall remote, and stripped out the wireless getup the Pentair installer used. No thanks. I've been up in the attic so many times now!

Itach, nice. And a Mac app for learning? That was a huge pain for the IRTrans. iRed was the Mac interface for that, but it really was bad. And it stored the codes, so it had to be running to use the IRTrans units. The IRTrans can store the infrared codes, which can be fired with simple URLs pointed at the IRTrans web server, so that's how I was able to ditch iRed. But storing the codes was the glitch. PC only!! That was rough getting that done (I think I used Windows running on VMWare for that.) I documented it all, so I could add codes long after I forgot how, but I don't look forward to that, if/when I need to. If Itach maintains their Mac support, maybe I'll be a customer at some point.

The real pain of automation (of any kind) is the manufacturers' upgrades. Whether that's hardware, or software, when you want the "new" thing, it's going to break some of the old stuff. Then we have to start over!! Uhg. I look at it this way... some of us ol' cronies use crossword puzzles to keep our brains working... I code.

@bdavis466: Better? :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.