how far to lower water in closing pool

Greetings from the other fork. It depends on your cover. If it’s a solid cover that won’t let water through, go to the bottom of the skimmer and drain the top of the cover as needed. If you have a mesh/permeable cover go down a foot and keep and eye on it over the winter, draining with a sump pump whenever it gets full. We get around 3 ft of water/snow each winter here so you may need to drain a few times.

Just keep an eye on it for when its time to drain again. If its full to the brim it will seep out under the patio at any cracks in the coping. Possible errosion or undermining if it does. Or it will make new cracks and possible moderate damage when it freezes full to the coping top and/or under it. Last year wasnt bad but the few years before that i had 8 inches to a foot of ice for over a month.

Just keep an eye on it for when its time to drain again. If its full to the brim it will seep out under the patio at any cracks in the coping. Possible errosion or undermining if it does. Or it will make new cracks and possible moderate damage when it freezes full to the coping top and/or under it. Last year wasnt bad but the few years before that i had 8 inches to a foot of ice for over a month.
Since it is now 24" below coping I don't think pool could overflow I guess 20" below would be ok.Thanks for your experience

Since it is now 24" below coping I don't think pool could overflow I guess 20" below would be ok.Thanks for your experience

24” will get you most of the way through for sure. If we have a wet fall/winter it will be full long before spring. Just keep an eye on it once it gets colder. If it has a lot of room to go, check it again a month later.

I'm wondering where I might find more information about how a high water level damages the pool (I have an in-ground vinyl pool), if I have properly blown and plugged the lines.

I don't have a submersible pump but I do have a main drain. The issue is though that the valves to turn off the skimmers are very stiff and cannot fully close. So as soon as I drop the water level below the skimmer, the pump loses prime. I think last season when the pool company came to close, they also just lowered the water level to below the skimmer (and still above the returns). The water level when opening the pool this past spring was above the skimmer, but I'm not sure the highest level it reached over the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.