How far in advance do PB need property plot picture?

Nov 2, 2018
Franklin, MA
We are working with a reputable PB in our area - several neighbors have used them. He told us in December that he needed the land plot ASAP when he took our deposit and I found one that the previous owners had done when they added a screened in porch but he hasnt contacted me back to let me know where to email it. The build is not slated until July but how far in advnace do they need these? I have called twice and he has not called back. I am irritated but not sure if he away and also not sure how urgent it is if he hasnt returned my call.

Thanks!

The first thing i did when meeting each potential PB and landscaper was give them a printed plot plan

i gave them a PDF version once we started emailing and discussing more details

I think the plot plan and site visit/measurement to confirm before the formal design are higher up on the list of important items but I'm a noobie to this whole thing

Someone in the industry may chime in with more detail

*edit
It took 1 to 2 weeks for the first draft design to come back for most of the PB i contacted. That was the longest communication blackout i have experienced so far

In franklin mass, it’s not an emergency.

Send him a happy new year email with it attached & don’t worry about it.

This is a very busy industry month, most of us are traveling, presenting or attending lectures and conferences.

of course sneaking in some island time!

We are working with a reputable PB in our area - several neighbors have used them. He told us in December that he needed the land plot ASAP when he took our deposit and I found one that the previous owners had done when they added a screened in porch but he hasnt contacted me back to let me know where to email it. The build is not slated until July but how far in advnace do they need these? I have called twice and he has not called back. I am irritated but not sure if he away and also not sure how urgent it is if he hasnt returned my call.

Thanks!

As others have indicated you'll want a record of exactly where the pool is located and a plan view as a part of his scope of work definition. He'll also need this to submit permit applications which can take several months for approval, depending on your jurisdiction. He probably asked for it early since a lot of homeowners never get around to giving in then the PB is late submitting, then his scheduling for labor, equipment, permits get all discombobulated. So get it to him as soon as you can.

Now for the important part. Looks like this happened in December... your post was today. He hasn't gotten back to you yet? That's not a good start. I'd confront him about this. You're likely to have a lot of situations where you need much better response time. There are a lot of reasons why this might not be the case in this instance and this is just a one-off but I'd make sure he knows this isn't acceptable going forward.

Chris

thanks for your replies. I beleive i am getting the layout in our yard from the decking people (that we have not chosen yet). Should I get a plan from him at this stage in the game? We basically just agreed to the pool size and additional items like salt water, etc.I got the impression that the actual layout is something the deck people provide. the PB came out in December and we told him the general area we were thinking and he just confirmed that it would work. I need help with the design/layout. just kind of confused as to the process

and good point about not getting off the right start. I am going to give him until next Monday and then follow up. He was supposed to give me his email which I dont have yet. Thanks!

Well we live in a HOA community so they required a copy of the plot survey as part of their approval process. But because I have utility easements and a pretty small yard, all the builders and landscapers I met asked for a copy of it too. The PB we’re using required it to be sent before they’d even come out to see the site.

I think it depends on the PB. I never needed one. I just did a hand drawing of my yard to scale and the rough location/shape of the pool on some graph paper. Then I used spraypaint on the ground to show where I exactly I wanted the pool, and we did a walk-through. When they did the dig and put up the forms, we fine-tuned it a little more. Of course the PB is a friend of mine, but he seems to run pretty casual. Doing it this way, I had direct input on the end result and got it exactly how I wanted.

I would rethink who you are using for the build. If he is already doing this.............things may only go down hill. It is almost as if he does not want to do your pool :(

Layout of the pool is NOT done by the decking company. That is done by the PB company. The decking is done after the pool is almost done.

You should have already sat down with the PB with a solid plan and design to work from before you gave him the deposit :(

We can/will help with the general design if you want.

Kim:kim:

In my case all 8 builders that quoted wanted the plot. They need build lines, easements, right-a-ways. The PB I choose had to draw to scale the placement for permits and I had to provide this to my HOA as well. Seemed pretty important in my build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.