How do you secure a 10' drive-through gate in a wooden privacy fence?

amy6152

Apr 4, 2017
Rochester, NY
Pool's in an fantastic, now it's time to pass inspection. Have a fence gate that's got me stymied. We have a six foot wooden privacy fence around the yard with a ten foot wide drive gate. Two five foot wide panels meet in the middle and latch (poorly) together. I'm willing to redo that section of fence, but not sure how best to handle it. want to keep that ten foot opening. How do you secure two wooden panels together in a way that's super stable and self-closing to pass inspection? Is it as simple as sinking a tube into concrete so the fence can be locked in place? Right now, it has a pipe that would go into such a hole, but it more or less drags on the ground. I'm thinking we have to redo the fence, add a pipe in the ground and secure it with concrete, then have the new gates lock into place with that. But how would you make that self-closing?? Losing my mind. Help appreciated.

The gates I've seen are either swing or sideways motion. Then you have to decide on manual or automated closing. I have a large circular driveway with two gates on each side of the circle entrance. They are about 12-15 wide but steel. They are anchored like a hinge on each corner and simply swing closed. They remain stable because the post they are attached to (like a door hinge) is deep and well secured. I could put a motor on it if I wanted. At my work we have a fenced compound with a sliding (roller) gate for vehicles to enter. It's about 20-30 feet wide, but unlike the swing gate that places all the weight and force on the corner hinge post, this one rests on a rail - like a single train track. It's motorized with PIN keypad entrance, so once the PIN is entered, the motor activates and the gate opens/closes along that rail. The motor drives a chain (like on a bike) that moves the gate.

I suspect there are other variations, and local installers who do this for a living probably have many more ideas for you.

Also have a 10ft opening, double gate.

Ours is done so that one can stay stationary. There's a pvc tube concreted in the ground that a rod slides down into and keeps the one panel in place. The other side has a double latch system (one high, one lower) that I rigged up using a flat metal bar connected with bolts and wing nuts between the 2 latch handles. (this is on the inside)

Then for added security I have 2 brackets, one on each gate, that I can slide a short piece of 2x4 down in to so that it bridges across the middle where they meet. So if the latch somehow fails or gets bumped, the gate won't open with the 2x4 in place. It could be padlocked to not open but that's a hassle to me always having to remember the key...

I'll go out and snap some pics of the set up in a bit.

Edit: as for self closing they make a spring that gets attached to the gate and fence and it is then tensioned so when the gate is opened the spring wants to force the gate to swing shut.

Here how the double latch looks from the front.

20180619_120533.jpg

And how the 2 are tied together on the back and also the 2x4 and the rod to keep the second gate shut.

20180619_120447.jpg

Just have to remove the 2x4 and lift up on that grey flat metal strip and it will unlatch both latches and the left side can be pushed open.

Swing the rod out from under the bracket and lift it up to swing open the right side.

How often do you go in/out through the gate? If only rarely, then maybe consider a more permanent solution such as bolting the panels together, like a proper fence. That should get you through inspection. Then on those occasions that you need access, just unbolt the panels and drive through. If you're planning on using it frequently, however, you'll likely need a spring/auto-latch system like Jamison suggests.

20180619_134644.jpg

Here is the spring that makes a gate self closing. This one is on the walk thru gate. Don't have them on the drive thru double gates as it's not needed here. But I'd imagine one spring would be more than adequate to self close a 5ft panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.