How do you drain your Salt Water pool?

Sep 28, 2011
I have a 33,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with DE filter that is currently chlorinated using 3" stabilized pucks and shocked as necessary with Cal-Hypo granules. I am constantly battling CYA levels, of course. I would love to ditch the tablets and CYA problems, and am considering a SWG conversion. A big question I have is what do you SWG pool owners do when you need to drain your pools? For example, I'm going to need a re-plaster in a year or two. If I have dumped 600 pounds or more of salt in my pool, I imagine draining my pool water will be problematic. I don't want salt killing my landscaping. What do you SWG owners do when you have to backwash or drain your pools? Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

Give us your options that are available to you to get rid of the water. I send my water to the sewer that goes to the ocean.

Do you know the water table height? You don't want to float an empty shell if the water table is too high.

I drain my pool out to a storm water runoff. If I were to convert to a salt pool I would be sending out 900 pounds of salt with the water, which makes me uncomfortable. Due to persistent CYA problems, I just drained and refilled about 25k gallons and am cutting over to liquid bleach and a Stenner pump setup.

I drain my pool out to a storm water runoff. If I were to convert to a salt pool I would be sending out 900 pounds of salt with the water, which makes me uncomfortable. Due to persistent CYA problems, I just drained and refilled about 25k gallons and am cutting over to liquid bleach and a Stenner pump setup.

Do you know that using liquid chlorine for every 3.3 ppm of chlorine you are also adding 5.5 ppm of salt?

In under 2 years your water has as much salt as a salt pool. Many pools are “salt pools” and the owners don’t know it since they don’t test for it.

Your profile does not contain a location but sending the salt into the storm water runoff is less of an issue then many other things that get flushed down there in a storm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.