How do you choose a builder?

dice7074

Bronze Supporter
Jun 19, 2017
Surprise, AZ
My husband and I are in the middle of interviewing contractors for our landscaping project and I was just wondering how everyone else goes about choosing their builder/s. We've interviewed two builders so far, one is still scheduled to come out, and I might ask one more for good measure. As it stands:

Builder #1- has a NO PAYMENT UNTIL JOB IS COMPLETE AND OWNER IS SATISFIED policy - which is EXCELLENT IMHO. But I don't know if they've ever built something like what we're asking.

Builder #2- we've seen their work because they did our neighbor's backyard - and it is STUNNING... But my husband and I got an ever-so-slightly weird vibe from the consultant (just a first impression - could have meant nothing). And again, I don't know if they've ever built something like what we're asking.

Builder #3- haven't met with them yet, but from the pics on their website, this company seems to be capable of doing what we're asking.

Builder #4- ??? still haven't found a Builder #4.

I know I haven't completed the interview process yet, but I'm already overwhelmed with what's been introduced to me so far. Please feel free to share the thoughts that run through your heads when you're trying to decide on a contractor for your projects... I know it's a unique experience for everyone, but I could really use some insight.

Thanks friends!

Hey Jason! We already have the pool! My question is actually more focused on the landscaping. I'm sure the principles are the same regarding choosing builders on any project, but I just wanted to pick someone else's brain besides mine! We had a few challenges with our pool project and we thought we chose the right builder... We don't feel that way anymore - and I really don't feel like making the same mistake twice with our landscaping project.

Pure luck! And read the contract carefully. Unless, of course, you know someone that had a great experience with one or the other.

Ask the people they did work for "Would you have them do work for you again?" and see what comes out from that.

Esloser and Kim,

The response to both of you is Yes & Yes to Builder #2. This company did a fantastic job on our neighbor's yard and our neighbor already said if he had to do it all over again, he would hire Builder #2 in a heartbeat. But like I said, I'm not sure if Builders 1 & 2 have the expertise to carry out our project because I haven't seen any pics on their websites to indicate the kind of work (structure-wise) that we're after. In fact, we've only seen one landscaper, Builder #3, execute what we'd like in our yard. - And my husband has a hunch that they're going to be astronomically overpriced $$$$$ !!

… this post is really depressing me... :( My head hurts :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What exactly are you looking to have built??

Something similar to this -

modern-outdoor-entertaining-area-140417-1226-04.jpg

outdoorfireplacewithwaterfeature.jpg

In pic 1, we like the sunken lounge, and the semi-cantilevered roof, but we would want the roof sloped (Builder #3 has done quite a few projects similar to this). In pic 2, we like the fireplace behind the spa with the sheer descent flowing over it (This is Builder #3's work- I am NOT dropping names :wink:). When we told Builders 1 & 2 about the sunken lounge, they both asked why were we going this route - it almost sounded like they were skeptical about taking on our project.

Very nice. Sounds like you need to have a conversation with builder #3. Find out what he would charge to make it happen. Sure, you’re probably right in the fact that it’s gonna be expensive, but you want it done right.
You could always break the project up in stages to spread out the cost.

Very nice. Sounds like you need to have a conversation with builder #3. Find out what he would charge to make it happen. Sure, you’re probably right in the fact that it’s gonna be expensive, but you want it done right.

Thanks Rob. We'll see what he says on Thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

Want to find a good builder?? Talk to a local plaster or renovation/service company.

I see your in Arizona, Red Rock Pool & Spa Construction.. you can’t go wrong with those fellas...

YESSS! I noticed Red Rock's work on the internet when we were building our pool last year. If I'm not mistaken, they did some NFL player's pool here in AZ. They do VERY nice work.

Hi Dice,

I did what I felt was a large landscaping project. Some things that were important to me were:

does the company have the type of equipment needed to get the job done in a reasonable timeframe? This is huge. If you're doing 700 sq ft of pavers you don't want a guy with a wheelbarrow moving all that paver base, sand etc. They need a large dump truck to get it there in one delivery and then use a bobcat or larger to move the stuff around. Is grading needed? this can be serious volumes of fill, you don't want a guy who has to make 10 trips to get what's needed when another company can get it done in two trips. Of course access dictates some of the equipment they can use. To get a good feel, ask them for specifics on how they plan to do the work. The guys that can do it right will brag about it. Find out where their yard is where they keep the truck etc. I drove by the guy who did mine and there was no doubt he had the equipment so I know he wouldn't waste time on getting materials to and around the job site.

Do they have permanent employees or do they have 1 supervisor and then pick the labor guys up each morning at the convenience store? References can hopefully tell you if the same guys were there most of the time. The obvious like are they insured too?

I'm sure you know that the overhang structure is not landscaping and I'd consider having that as a separate project I'd interview builders myself separately for (then have them work with the landscaper to coordinate schedules etc). Can't hurt to have a landscaping co. price it out but they'll likely farm out that work anyway. I broke my project into 4 phases mainly for cost reasons. But it's a great way to have a company earn your future business. But...the first company met my above concerns but they really dragged their feet on all my plantings so phases 2, 3, and 4 went to another company (4 times the value of phase 1).

Cost if of course a concern but I value quality and reliability over the money. Money is 3rd on my list. I know I could have done the jobs cheaper but I wanted it done in a month, not 2.5. A small company could not have got it done in a reasonable time.

I'm sure you know that the overhang structure is not landscaping and I'd consider having that as a separate project I'd interview builders myself separately for (then have them work with the landscaper to coordinate schedules etc). Can't hurt to have a landscaping co. price it out but they'll likely farm out that work anyway. I broke my project into 4 phases mainly for cost reasons. But it's a great way to have a company earn your future business. But...the first company met my above concerns but they really dragged their feet on all my plantings so phases 2, 3, and 4 went to another company (4 times the value of phase 1).

Cost if of course a concern but I value quality and reliability over the money. Money is 3rd on my list. I know I could have done the jobs cheaper but I wanted it done in a month, not 2.5. A small company could not have got it done in a reasonable time.

Rob & Nectarologist,

I think we're probably going to end up going the route of breaking up the project in phases. My husband has been in construction for 30 years, but his current job has had him out of state for the last four years. So he knows how to do the majority of the work we want done, he's just not home to do it. With that being said, he knows that whatever these builders are going to charge us, he can probably do it for half. But one of the things that concerns me is the engineering of that cantilever structure. I know he can handle the fire/water feature, but along with Builders 1 & 2, I don't know if my husband's expertise warrants attempting a build like that. - Shh... we won't tell him what I just said! What is the physics/engineering behind a cantilever structure, anyway?

In the mean time, I'm still going to have Builder #3 come out. I'm going to get numbers from all of them. And then I'm going to rack my brain over what to do next.

Thanks Rob. We'll see what he says on Thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

YESSS! I noticed Red Rock's work on the internet when we were building our pool last year. If I'm not mistaken, they did some NFL player's pool here in AZ. They do VERY nice work.

Awsome. Keep us up to date on how it went.

Hi Dice,

I did what I felt was a large landscaping project. Some things that were important to me were:

does the company have the type of equipment needed to get the job done in a reasonable timeframe? This is huge. If you're doing 700 sq ft of pavers you don't want a guy with a wheelbarrow moving all that paver base, sand etc. They need a large dump truck to get it there in one delivery and then use a bobcat or larger to move the stuff around. Is grading needed? this can be serious volumes of fill, you don't want a guy who has to make 10 trips to get what's needed when another company can get it done in two trips. Of course access dictates some of the equipment they can use. To get a good feel, ask them for specifics on how they plan to do the work. The guys that can do it right will brag about it. Find out where their yard is where they keep the truck etc. I drove by the guy who did mine and there was no doubt he had the equipment so I know he wouldn't waste time on getting materials to and around the job site.

Do they have permanent employees or do they have 1 supervisor and then pick the labor guys up each morning at the convenience store? References can hopefully tell you if the same guys were there most of the time. The obvious like are they insured too?

Very well said Nectar!!

I would also suggest you check your local court records for lawsuits against the builder. In MD I can do a case search online and it will bring them all up, opened or closed, won or lost.

Checking prior work is a great idea, but keep in mind they are only going to give you their best work with satisfied customers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.