How do you add CYA to an above ground pool?

I have a new above ground pool. It has a SWG and I need to add CYA to it. Pool store told me I can’t add the liquid CYA because I don’t have a slimmer. They said I should dissolve the crystals in hot water then add it to the pool. But these crystals are not dissolving! No matter how much I stir there is still sludge at the bottom of the bucket. Help? How do I add CYA to my above ground pool?

I have 5455 gallon, 18’ x 48” round vinyl above ground pool with a salt water generator and sand filter. Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

We recommend putting the granules into a sock and dangling that in the water in front of a return jet. massaging it often until it dissolves.

As you found out, it is not easy to get it to dissolve.

like this, and what Jason said above

cgO4Gh8m.jpg

It could take about a week for the CYA to completely dissolve to enable me to get an accurate measurement with the CYA test. I also tried the bucket method first and it did not appear that my CYA was increasing as it should. I then used the sock method. I did all this over the course of one week. All of a sudden my CYA test results spiked and I had WAY more than I should (over 100). I then had to drain about 1/2 the pool to get it back down. So, go slow and give it time to fully dissolve before you add more than the recommended amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.