How do I tell if something is wrong with my Pentair Rebel?

PumpinIron

Bronze Supporter
Aug 20, 2022
Florence, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Something strange is happening with my Pentair Rebel. Once upon a time it went in all different directions including up the walls of the pool. Now it only spins in circles and because of that remains only in the deep end of my pool. It's working and it's sucking stuff up, but again, it only spins in circles. When I remove it from the water both wheels turn in both directions just fine and there is nothing stuck in the gears or the suction tube.

Any idea what might be going on here? This is really bizarre if you ask me.

Sorry, never had one do that. But they're full of gears (lots of opportunities for moving-part failure). There are rebuild kits available. You can also just replace the vac head for around two bills (which isn't a whole lot more than the repair kits), without having to buy a whole new unit.

I don't know how the gearing works, but if I had to guess I'd say that both wheels spinning while it's out of the water might not be a valid troubleshooting conclusion. Under load a gear might be slipping that works better when not under load.

Reactions: PumpinIron
Something strange is happening with my Pentair Rebel. Once upon a time it went in all different directions including up the walls of the pool. Now it only spins in circles and because of that remains only in the deep end of my pool. It's working and it's sucking stuff up, but again, it only spins in circles. When I remove it from the water both wheels turn in both directions just fine and there is nothing stuck in the gears or the suction tube.

Any idea what might be going on here? This is really bizarre if you ask me.
When you turn one wheel does the other turn the same direction? if not, the gear train is stuck in the position that allows the cleaner to turn by stopping the drive to one wheel or a gear is stripped.

When you turn one wheel does the other turn the same direction? if not, the gear train is stuck in the position that allows the cleaner to turn by stopping the drive to one wheel or a gear is stripped.
You're onto something.

When I remove it from the pool and turn one wheel, the both turn in the same direction. However, when I turn the other wheel, it doesn't turn or engage at all and acts like it's trying to turn but the gears aren't engaging.

It seems like I either need a gear rebuild kit or just a new cleaner in general.

Reactions: Dirk
FYI I ended up fixing it by purchasing a new suction side cleaner.

I took apart my Rebel and I must have missed it the first time, because the gears on one wheel were obviously stripped. I ended up going with this one:

So far it's working great!

FYI I ended up fixing it by purchasing a new suction side cleaner.

I took apart my Rebel and I must have missed it the first time, because the gears on one wheel were obviously stripped. I ended up going with this one:

So far it's working great!

The Zodiac MX-6/MX-8 is a solid cleaner. I think most people complain that the OEM hose that comes with it does not last long or is prone to suction leaks but perhaps that issue has been addressed.

Also, I highly suggest the use of an in-line leaf canister. They collect all the large debris and keep it out of your pump and filter. And it makes the likelihood of getting a suction line clog nonexistent.

Also, I highly suggest the use of an in-line leaf canister. They collect all the large debris and keep it out of your pump and filter. And it makes the likelihood of getting a suction line clog nonexistent.
I ordered one of those as well to avoid clogs. So far the hose seems fine and well built, but we'll see in the long run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.