How do i prime my Hayward C2251540LSS Micro StarClear 40 GPM Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System?

chuckles98103

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2019
Seattle, WA
I bought a pool filter system:

It doesn't come with particularly helpful setup/installation instructions ... so i did my best and put it together. When I turn it on, the motor whirs, but there's no suction (and hence no water flow).

A couple of notes:

1. the pump is ~1 foot below the water line.
2. i didn't prime it at all... as it's really unclear how to do this.

The manual says, under "STARTING THE FILTER":
Be sure the filter drain valve is closed

... it's unclear to me where this valve is. is it the little plastic valve at the bottom of the filter housing?

It also says, under the same section "Prime and start the pump following the manufacturer's instructions" ... this is what that manual says:

Priming Pump:
- Open all valves before starting system.
- Release all air from filter and piping system.
- When water source is higher than the pump, pump will prime itself when suction and outlet valves are opened.
- (etc)

Pump should prime. Priming time will depends on vertical length of suction lift and horizontal length of suction pipe. If pump does not prime within 10 minutes, stop motor and determine cause. Be sure all suction and discharge valves are open when pump is running.

So I'm not sure where the valves are that i'm supposed to open. Is anyone familiar enough with this pump to help me out?

(And yes, it's bad to run the pump dry .. it was only for ~30 seconds).

thanks
--tom

Tom,

If you have an above ground pool, the water is above the pump and gravity should cause it to just flow from the pool into the pump. If the pump basket does not have water in it, I would have to assume that there is some valve between your skimmer the pump that is closed..

Show us a couple of pics of your set up and I'm sure you will get some better answers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Do you have a inground pool or a above ground pool?

Did you put a filter basket on your pump?

For the first prime I would unhook the tube that goes in between the pump and filter and stick a garden hose in the pump there and fill it up really good. Hook it back up and try it. If there is a air relief valve on the top of the filter you can open that.

The pump is not self priming, so it has to be full of water at all times to work, don't even try it if there is air in the pump.

Do you have a inground pool or a above ground pool?

The pool is mostly below ground. About 1' of water is above-ground, the other 3' is below-ground.

Did you put a filter basket on your pump?

I did not. Can you tell me what this is, conceptually ... meaning, does it go before the pump or after? And what is it's function? From what I can tell, it goes before the pump, and it's job is to filter out large debris to keep it from washing into your pump and clogging it up.

The pump is not self priming, so it has to be full of water at all times to work, don't even try it if there is air in the pump.

Agreed. Whatever info was in that manual was incorrect.

I was able to prime it by holding the 1.5" diameter line that feeds the pump straight up and pouring some water down the tube .. until the pump filled up. Once I saw water start to fill back up into the tube, I knew the pump was full .. when I started it, it worked really well.

It's not self-priming. The pump itself is below the water line (though not by much).

Are the pictures forthcoming. That will help us here to help you.

Unfortunately I don't have any.

Also maybe worth mentioning: I ditched the clear tube and connector that comes with the product shown in my original message. I found these to be really difficult to work with. Instead, I bought two 1.5" diameter pipe/hose adapters and a 3' length of 1.5" diameter tubing and used those three pieces to connect the pump to the filter housing. This made everything a lot easier to work with.

Okay - I took a couple of photos. It's a DIY / temporary / portable pump & filter housing that I can set up next to my pool and run for a few hours, then set it aside until I'm ready to run it again. The water bottles are just serving as weights to keep the hoses in place.

The pool pump is on, circulating the water in the pool and lifting up any dirt that's usually settled to the pool bottom. The external pump is pumping the pool water through a filter.

It's a little hard to see but, the pump itself is below the water line, just not by a lot. The pool is mostly below-ground.

pool_3.jpg

pool_1.jpg

pool_2.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.