How do i prevent calxium build up over winter closed pool

Jul 1, 2018
Fishers, IN
Hello trouble free pool experts. First I just want to thank all of you I've had the best looking pool two years ago since I started following the pool school in app monitoring my own pool.
So thank you you guys rock.!

would really appreciate some input. This will be the fourth year of of winterize my pool and every year that I've had it I've had pretty major calcium build up over the winter. Including last year in which I actually monitor the pH level . I added about a gallon of acid every month to keep it somewhat balanced. My pool for whatever reason tends to rise in calcium hardness all season long it's currently at 500.started at 260 after refill at beginning of the season...Typically I have to drain at least half the water every season and refill. I put nothing in it but liquid chlorine and muriatic acid. It is stayed balanced all year long... it's been beautiful only issue has been the gradual rise of calcium in the water. Guessing i should to drain half of it before I winterize and refill to the proper level for winterization?
So my three questions are should I be dumping acid in it to keep it at the proper pH level over the winter. If so how do I do that with the pumps being off to circulated in the water? And would you drain the pool and get the CH had an acceptable level before you winterized?

What is the CH of your fill water you use?

Use PoolMath to calculate your Calcium Saturation Index-(CSI). Post your water chemistry and let's see what your water balance is like.

Declining water temperature lowers CSI and rising pH causes the CSI to rise. They should offset each other and keep you out of the scaling zone if you are not extreme with the other chemicals that factor into CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.