How do I know when I need to replace my Polaris backup vavle?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
I saw this on a list of things that eventually need to be replaced. As far as I know this is still the original one so It's been in there for a minimum of 5 years since we moved in and I have no idea how old it is before that. Is there a way to see if its fully working? The Polaris does back up every once in a while so it's doing something, but how do I know if it's working fully or if its starting to degrade?

From Polaris Pool Cleaners - Further Reading

The backup valve is in the hose and backup valve yanks the Polaris back and turns it around to reposition. It does it every few minutes to get the cleaner out of a corner it may be stuck in and add to its random journey around the pool. Water should not be contentiously jetting out of the backup valve. If it is the valve is broken.

The valve should go into backup about every 2 1/2 min to 3 minutes. If it is longer than that, the gears may be worn. Zodiac also has a “double acting” backup valve. It runs twice as fast and backs up the cleaner more frequently, about every 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds.

The G52 is said to backup every 2 1/2 minutes. The G59 backups approximately every 1 minute 45 seconds.

The “double acting” backup valve is used in smaller pools where the cleaner gets stuck in a corner more frequently.

The backup valve can be disassembled and the valve body unscrewed although it may be difficult to get an old one apart. How do I get the collar off a Polaris 360/ 380 back up valve discussed different techniques to open the valve.

Zodiac G52 is usually the standard replacement backup valve. Pentair has the E10 backup valve that is bit more expensive then the Zodiac and some people have said works better and lasts longer on Polaris cleaners.

From Polaris Pool Cleaners - Further Reading

The backup valve is in the hose and backup valve yanks the Polaris back and turns it around to reposition. It does it every few minutes to get the cleaner out of a corner it may be stuck in and add to its random journey around the pool. Water should not be contentiously jetting out of the backup valve. If it is the valve is broken.

Does this mean no water should be coming out of it when it's not in backup mode or not a lot of water should be coming out of it?

PXL_20220824_153441733.jpg

I stood out there watching it for 5 minutes. There was never not water flowing out of it, for the full 5+ minutes it was just a constant stream like that coming out and it never changed.

The Polaris still does backup sometimes though, so it is doing what its supposed to be doing?

If it is backing up then I would not worry about some water flowing out of the valve.

It's backing up but then it goes straight and gets stuck. I watch it back up, the it goes forward and ends up in the same spot over and over. I push it with the broom and it goes around the pool and ends up in the same place again, backing up and going forward over and over.

PXL_20220824_150603944.jpg

It will end up here or in the bottom corner or at the top corner and then move forward and backward forever until I push it around again and it will be off on it's way until it comes back around eventually and gets stuck again.

It's a Polaris 360. It's getting enough water because when it is going around the pool it can climb and do everything it needs to do, from my other thread the quick connect latches have been replaced and it's more powerful than ever, but now it just goes faster to the points it gets stuck at and cant seem to get itself out.

Unscrew the backup valve and open it up and check the condition of the gear box...

I was reading on the links, the Polaris 360 uses a backup valve that is different than the suggested replacement parts? The G52 listings I see say that it specifically does not work with the 360?

I would believe what the links say. I have always had a 380.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They all kind of look the same. Why would one work with a 360 and not the other? They just go on the water line and dont actually connect to the cleaner in any way so I wonder what makes them different.

They all kind of look the same. Why would one work with a 360 and not the other? They just go on the water line and dont actually connect to the cleaner in any way so I wonder what makes them different.
Dunno, someday when we meet we can put your 360 backup valve next to my 380 backup valve and see.

It looks like the active gear mechanism inside is the same between the 360 and 380 valves.

I see you have a different larger hose then the 380. The nipples on the valve that the hose slides on to may be different.

The backup valve for a 280/380 is designed to be used with a booster pump. The one for the 360 uses a different internal mechanism and shell that is designed to be used without a booster pump. That's the difference, they are different valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.