Eagle Lake, Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi. Here again thinking like last year that I have algae??? I have yellow "stains" all over my pool but my numbers are good (I think) except ph that is always high. I had this problem last year but not nearly as bad as now and as far as I know it wasn't algae. Here I include some pictures and my numbers as of now. I've being brushing , cleaning the filter and running my robot but it comes back. I haven't brush in a few days and this is how it got. The water is clear. How do I know if it is pollen or if it's algae if my numbers are ok?

FC 5
CC 0.0
TA 90
CYA 50
PH 8.0
CH 275
SALT 3,400
CSI 0.21
TEMP 84 tempImage1BzDIk.jpgtempImageOpNPXC.jpgtempImage2COepL.jpg

I've been testing frequently and it seems fine but I will do the test.
OCLTs are free and definitive. We all have pollen season and it's nearly impossible to tell the difference. Even if the rest of the yard is covered in pollen, it could be pollen *and* algae in the pool.

But yeah. Anytime you ever wonder if something is brewing, do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Go straight to OCLT.

Test result last night. Did it twice with same results
FC 5
CC 0.0
This morning did it several times with different results from
FC 4 CC 0.5
FC 4.5 CC 0.5
FC 4.5 CC 0.0

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test result last night. Did it twice with same results
FC 5
CC 0.0
This morning did it several times with different results from
FC 4 CC 0.5
FC 4.5 CC 0.5
FC 4.5 CC 0.0
That’s a pass 👍🏻But before we call it clear- can you gather up any of the offending stuff (maybe from the pool cleaner) & try to smear it on a paper towel? Generally algae is slimy. It may look greenish when smeared on a paper towel.
Is it on the walls or just the bottom?
Your cya is a bit low for a swg pool especially in florida. After being certain you don’t have an algae problem you should probably raise that to around 70 & chlorinate accordingly.
FC/CYA Levels
Has there been any time your fc went below minimum for your cya? Your logs are kinda intermittent.
If it were me, I would raise to slam level & do another
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

That’s a pass 👍🏻But before we call it clear- can you gather up any of the offending stuff (maybe from the pool cleaner) & try to smear it on a paper towel? Generally algae is slimy. It may look greenish when smeared on a paper towel.
Is it on the walls or just the bottom?
Your cya is a bit low for a swg pool especially in florida. After being certain you don’t have an algae problem you should probably raise that to around 70 & chlorinate accordingly.
FC/CYA Levels
Has there been any time your fc went below minimum for your cya? Your logs are kinda intermittent.
If it were me, I would raise to slam level & do another
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
I will try to gather some after the robot is done and try that. It was in the walls and bottom and in the water line it was looking green.

I was thinking to slam and reading on it. I have to lower my ph and because my cya is 50( ideal cya for slam 30- 50 ) the app tells me to slam to 20ppm. So I have to brush brush brush and maintain shock level until I pass the oclt, right? but because I "pass" already do I have to do thing differently? Like I don't have to do the oclt again, just slam it? Just asking because I have no idea.

I will try to gather some after the robot is done and try that. It was in the walls and bottom and in the water line it was looking green.

I was thinking to slam and reading on it. I have to lower my ph and because my cya is 50( ideal cya for slam 30- 50 ) the app tells me to slam to 20ppm. So I have to brush brush brush and maintain shock level until I pass the oclt, right? but because I "pass" already do I have to do thing differently? Like I don't have to do the oclt again, just slam it? Just asking because I have no idea.
Yes - MAINTAIN slam level of 20ppm as often as possible, multiple times per day.
You will do another
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after the water is clear
(Crystal clear w/ no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Yes - MAINTAIN slam level of 20ppm as often as possible, multiple times per day.
You will do another
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test after the water is clear
(Crystal clear w/ no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.
I need to get in the water to scrub parts that the brush with the pole don't do much. I'll do the slam and do another OCLT ( the water has been clear all this time) I have to mention that about 3 weeks ago I had a leak they came to fix it and drained below waterline tiles and after that the water was full of grout/cement or whatever they used, at that time the water was very cloudy so we keep cleaning the pool with the robot several time a day and cleaning the pump filter and when it cleared up we put a new filter. And two weeks later here we are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.