How dangerous is handling the Muriatic Acid

tagteamcomputing

Gold Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
Tulsa, OK
I just saw this CircuPool TOTALBalance ph control system. It seems great to not have to add acid all the time but it is a bit pricey. How dangerous really is adding the acid if you are pouring 16 oz into an old yogurt container once a week? It is a lot cheaper than the TOTALBalance system but if it is any concern to my health it may be worth it. I have chronic bronchitis and get sick 2-3 months a year and I don't want anything that might make it worse.

Tag,

Just don't drink it... :mrgreen:

From my point of view it is not very 'dangerous' at all.

It is an acid, but it is not going to eat off your finger if you spill it on yourself.

I bet Matt can put it in perspective for us.. Calling @JoyfulNoise

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’ve been adding muratic acid to my pool almost every week for more than 15 years with no problems. I pour the acid into a plastic measuring cup that has a handle and is used only for this purpose. I do my best to avoid the fumes, but I’ll catch a whiff every now and then - nothing that has any negative effect. If you choose to add acid, just use common sense and be careful. It’s certainly not difficult.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
OOOkkkkk, I was kind of hoping it was a nasty dangerous thing that could turn you into a living zombie so I could justify buying a ph control system. But I think my wife would rather have me zombie that spend $1.500 bucks so Acid it is.

Thanks guys, it is nice to know. If I ever win a lottery I can splurge or something.

Pour downwind because it is an unpleasant and potent smell. If you spill on anything just dilute it. Otherwise not at all dangerous imo

How dangerous really is adding the acid if you are pouring 16 oz into an old yogurt container once a week?

It's safest and easiest to pour directly from the jug into the pool. Minimize handling MA to minimize the risk of a spill or splash.

Reactions: Lilypad
I have been using liquid MA for years without incident - especially for my spa as the jets cause the pH to go up. I believe that I have spilled it on my skin without causing major issues.

I find liquid chlorine to be more dangerous - at least to clothes. I have had splashback when pouring chlorine that causes bleached spots on clothes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.