How Critical Is Backwash

Uncle Rico's Pool

Sep 6, 2019
Wichita, Ks
Hi Everyone,
I opened my pool after a TFP style closing last year to crystal clear water. I had some dirt at the bottom that I vacuumed straight to waste and then, after testing, jumped into my SLAM. It has been a week now which seems long considering the clarity of water. This is only my second time and the last was in the fall with dark green water. Only thing I can figure is lack of backwashing. I have been adding CYA so I am trying to wait a week. Pressure gauge hasn’t moved an inch so it seems it should be fine. Thoughts? Am I just too impatient?

A few things that caught my eye:
- How did you add the stabilizer? It doesn't take a week to show results unless you poured it directly into the skimmer )which we never recommend anyways),
- Does you gauge fall to zero when turned off? Perhaps the gauge is bad?
- Have you ever deep-cleaned your sand?

If your pool is clear, why are you SLAMming it? Does it have algae we don’t see in the photo or CCs when you test?

Ice shadow, when I opened I did an OCLT and had a loss greater than 1ppm so I understood as needing to SLAM.

wireform, I’ve been performing good each night. Today’s result is getting very near 1ppm (1.5) so I am nowseeing progress.

original rocket, I used a mesh cover (mounts are in concrete but maybe hard to see). This was all the previous owner would supply when inspection found old retractable cover was damaged. I was nervous but am very happy with results and glad I didn’t have an ugly mess and pump on top like previous solid cover to mess with. I’d go mesh again now.

All, thanks for your comments. It looks like I’m almost there, but still concerned that it’s only upper 70s and am losing about 8ppm of chlorine per day. Surely this is not normal is it? That’s a lot of chlorine to add daily especially if that increases in the summer. I’ll check my CYA again tonight but math based on previous readings (is a subjective test!) show I should be at 40ppm. Feedback on your typical chlorine loss would be appreciated!

When chlorine is elevated you will lose more to the sun, but if you’re failing the OCLT then organics are eating it too. If your pool looks clear then in my experience you have hidden algae somewhere. Do you have any lights that go in light niches? Any water features or removable ladders/steps? All of these plus weir doors, skimmer throats, etc. should be checked and scrubbed out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How old are the regents, could they be expired. Also I've seen the vials having residue causing inaccuracies maybe clean them with something like Palmolive dish washing detergent and see if that changes things.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will look into both of those. This morning I passed my OCLT but I’m checking again tonight to make sure I didn’t miss count my drops! Great to hear I’ll lose less when I’m at non SLAM levels. I’ve only slammed, closed and opened my pool so far so excited to swim and maintain normal levels of FC!

Just had a thought while sitting at work. I have been vacuuming regularly but top step still collects little seeds and random debris. I can’t vacuum there so sometimes it collects a small amount and might sit there a day. Would that start to consume chlorine that quick or is that a non issue. OCLT was 1.5 but it was a pretty short night (6hours). Seems I’m soooo close!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.