how can one person put on/take off a solar cover without using a reel?

pookiesunshine

Gold Supporter
May 12, 2016
Cincinnati, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
What i do now:
20 x 40 rectangular, two people at the 20 ft end opposite diving board, remove it by fan folding it in about 2 to 3 ft folds, then roll it up toward the shady side so it doesnt cook in the sun all day. to put it back on, roll it out, grab a corner and pull toward the diving board end.

i dont really have a place for a reel.

While the above method is very easy, especially putting the cover on, my helper is not available as much as i would like. So i am not putting it on and off as much as i want.

So what can i do sans reel to make this a one person job?

To put it on, i can add a removable tube at the end of the cover that goes toward the diving board and use a rope to pull it on. But i dont see how this will let me take it off. I can pull it halfway off, but then what?

I have thought about cutting it into smaller sections, say 6 feet wide, but i think that might still be too wide to fold up by myself. If i do 5ft sections it is more likely to be manageable to take off, but then it will take 4 times as long to put on/off as it does now.

Any ideas for a fast, simple way for one person? or am i doomed to wet suits? or look for a new helper?

If not, i may just try the liquid stuff. I know there are the smaller circle/square covers, but these seem very expensive. And my arithmetic doesnt seem to match the vendors suggestions of how many are needed; i arrive at a higher number.

yes, i've seen the ideas here for DIY reels.

We cut ours in half across the middle, so it is now two 18x20 covers. It is much easier to handle but still a bit of a chore for one person. That's as far as we've gotten so far.

I screwed mine to a PVC pipe in the middle with a handle on the end and roll it up from the middle (like the solar roller) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JW3JRQ...t=&hvlocphy=9004468&hvtargid=pla-313858983969
but only costs 15$ to build.

Pros: easy to install the cover and roll up
Con: some of the funk on top of the cover ends up in the pool, it can be heavy to move once rolled up (this could be fixed by make two)

Didn't have a reel at my old house/pool, but the one I'm at now came with one.

It is much easier with than without.

But at the old place, I would just grab it at the deep end and pull, then fold
then pull then fold then again one more time. That side of the yard happened
to have shade after 12pm so worked out pretty well, but it did take effort.

Also helps to get the lowest mil cover. thicker covers are even more difficult.

Buckmaster - What kind of handle did you build/use? I recently built two rollers with PVC like you and others here on the board. However, the second one is a bit heavy and hard to manage for one person. We have an irregular shaped pool that required we use two covers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.