Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey all I want to automate my bubblers and future water slide return. Initially I had just assumed it would be automatically controlled through the Omnilogic app but I was mistaken. Apparently my hub doesn't support any more automated valves and my cheapest option is to add another Omnihub so I can control two more Jandy valves. I was quoted around 2-3k for the install and plumbing. The other more expensive option is to upgrade to bigger omnihub but that will require more expensive plumbing changes and it could be anywhere from 5-6k.

In the picture below the red circle is the jandy valve to control the water going to the water features. The green circle is the ball valve for the bubblers on the baja shelf and the yellow circle is the ball valve for a slide that I will be installing later.

What would be a better solution? I don't need to control the bubblers/slide through the Omnilogic app but I would prefer something that can be controlled through wifi. Thanks!

PXL_20240405_173552716_bubbler.jpg

PXL_20240405_173821823.jpg

PXL_20240405_173541836.jpg

One solution is to use low-cost relays to control the three valve actuators you would need. Replace the ball valves with two-way Jandy valves. The actuators operate off 24 vac power. Check out the low budget automation link in my signature. If you can live with controlling the valves with a separate app, it may work for you.

One solution is to use low-cost relays to control the three valve actuators you would need. Replace the ball valves with two-way Jandy valves. The actuators operate off 24 vac power. Check out the low budget automation link in my signature. If you can live with controlling the valves with a separate app, it may work for you.
Thanks I read through your solution yesterday. Great job on the setup. I think I need to do exactly what you did. I don't have any experience working with relays but I'm down to try.
Few initial questions:

1. How hard is it to replace the ball valves with two way jandy valves? I assume I will need to know the pipe dimensions first : Jandy valve
2. Is this the WiFi controller you used? (The link to the wifi controller is broken.) Wifi Controller
3. Do you have a link to an external power source that will work? I'm worried about warranty issues if I hook up anything to the Omnihub.
4. Would an actuator like this work with the Jandy valves? Actuator

Last edited:
1. How hard is it to replace the ball valves with two way jandy valves?
If you've ever worked with PVC it's not that difficult. There are a few resources available here in Pool School and/or TFP Wiki. To replace those valves, you would likely need to remove the section that includes the Jandy valve, the bubbler valve and the slide valve. Not sure what the pipe diameters are, but make sure you get the right size Jandy valves. You'd save yourself a lot of work of you could live with manually turning the bubbler and slide valves. You would only need to add an actuator to the valve circled in red.
2. Is this the WiFi controller you used? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=4-channe...channel+wifi+switches+,aps,331&ref=nb_sb_noss (The link to the wifi controller is broken.)
THIS is the most recent relay I used. I use relays that have the ability to power up using 24 VAC power since this is the same AC voltage required for the actuators. This allows the use of a single 24 VAC transformer.
3. Do you have a link to an external power source that will work? I'm worried about warranty issues if I hook up anything to the Omnihub.
I use a transformer that was installed by my PB that would be overkill for your system. The actuators only pull about 0.75 amps (750 milliamps) each. Just search for a 24 VAC transformer rated for at least 4 amps and you'll be fine.

I forgot to address question number four regarding the actuators. The Torx actuators will work and have been used by a few TFP forum members. At the time, I chose Intermatic actuators since they were a good value compared to other choices. If it were my pool, I would stick with the same actuators already installed.

Another thing to consider. The actuators generally don't have the ability to stop between full stops. You'd need to experiment with the two existing Jandy valves to make sure you can get the results desired.

I forgot to address question number four regarding the actuators. The Torx actuators will work and have been used by a few TFP forum members. At the time, I chose Intermatic actuators since they were a good value compared to other choices. If it were my pool, I would stick with the same actuators already installed.
Thank you for the detailed responses!

The reason why it would be easier to automate the valves is because my pool equipment is on a hill and it's a pain in the butt to go there and come back up. You can trip very easily so I'm trying to avoid a potential disaster.

Are you also suggesting I stick to the Hayward valves that are already installed? Can they be controlled by a third party relay?

Hayward GVA-24 Valve Actuator Replacement Amazon.com