How big to go with my SWG?

mdills

Jan 18, 2021
Ohio
So I've finally decided to take the plunge and switch over to a salt water pool. I have a 16x32 inground vinyl pool that goes from 3 to 8 foot. So by my calculation, 16 x 32 x (5.5 avg depth) x 7.5 = 21,120 gallons.

I really like the new CircuPool CORE series SWGs because they are so compact not having the external control panel. I've read that you should go from 1.5 to 2 times bigger than the size of your pool, but that puts mine pretty close to the edge. Would you all recommend the CORE35 or the CORE55? Just wondering if a 55,000 gal SWG would be overkill. Also on the Circupool site it says the CORE35 is recommended up to 20,000 in the South and 25,000 in the North. I'm in Ohio.

Thoughts? I appreciate any input.

M,
It is impossible to go too big with a SWCG.

We always recommend a cell that is at least 2 x the volume of your pool. In your location you could get away with a slightly smaller one, but why? The bigger the cell the longer they should last.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mdills
I ended up purchasing a CircuPool CORE-55. We have some tree's and such around our pool so we've always found it best to run our pump 24/7 and it only has 1 speed. So my I guess my question is 2-fold...

Should I wire the SWG directly inline with the pump so they switch on and off together? Or should I wire them independently so the SWG can be completely powered off while the pump is still running?

I'm not certain it will matter much since the SWG does have an off switch, but wanted to get your opinions. Thanks!

Last edited:
m,

I run my pump 24/7 and my SWCG is always on.. I like generating a little chlorine all the time and skimming all the time.

Some CircuPool SWCGs only have 25% output increments. Like 25%, 50% and 100%. If that is true of the Core-55, then I'd want a separate timer on the SWCG.
If the Core-55 has 10% output increments, then running anytime the pump is on will work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Or should I wire them independently so the SWG can be completely powered off while the pump is still running?
My pump runs 24/7 as well. While my RJ-45 has plenty of output settings, it's on its own outlet.

Thanks. I'll start with it running all the time with the pump. It only has 25% increments. I'll play with it a bit and see if the water is getting too much of a dose. I was worried it wouldn't be good for the SWG unit to be powered all the time and abruptly switched on and off with the pump switch.

Worry not. (y)

Mine ran 24/7 with 20 % choices. I was often overproducting at just under 2X. Yours will probably really overproduce and a timer will extend the lifespan a bit.

But when the run times don't line up perfectly with the daily demand, always choose over than under producing. Sometimes that was a FC in the low teens. If it went higher than that I shut if off and let it drift down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.