How big should I go?

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
I've looked at many different SWCG's and how they will fit into my piping, features, adjustability then decided on a Circupool RJ+.Just don't know how big to go. Pool is a fiberglass 13 x 28 oval, average 4 ft deep which by the formula would be about 9700 gallons. I suspect its less than that because the steps go all the way across on one end and a seat goes all the way across the other end. I'm in South Florida and heat the pool with solar to 90* in the spring/summer/fall, turn off solar in the winter but pool stays at 70-75* without solar. I run the pump 8-9 hours/day to maximize solar heat. I've read on the FAQ at Discount Salt Pool that generally a 10000 gallon pool uses 0.4 lb/day of chlorine. With that said, let's do the math for the RJ+ sizing. The RJ30+ provides 1.5 lbs/day at running 24 hrs at 100%, the Rj45 provides 2.0 lbs/day running 24 hrs at 100%. I run the pump only 8 hours a day so I need to divide those outputs by 3. So if the 0.4 lbs/day for a 10000 gallon pool is correct, the 30 would be running at about 100% to keep up. The 45 would be better suited but still on the small side because my pool at 90* with abundant sunshine will probably consume more than 0.4 lb/day. Do I really need a RJ45 or RJ60 for this small of a pool? I don't mind paying for a larger system but don't want to go too big. Just for reference I use 2 tabs/week in the summer to keep 4-5 ppm FC.

Can you fill out your signature so we know what type of other equipment you have.

Bigger is typically better with a SWCG. As long as you have adaptability of the % generating setting and pump run time.

The RJ 30 should be fine for you but would be best to have a VS pump so you can run it longer. The RJ45 would cover all bases.

PoolMath Effects of Adding will do the SWG calculations for you.

With the RJ45 running 8 hours at 40% will generate 3.2 ppm of FC. That is around what your pool will need.

You would need to run an RJ30 at 50% for 3.0 FC.

The RJ series lets you adjust % in 5% intervals. So either will work for you.

Last edited:
PoolMath Effects of Adding will do the SWG calculations for you.

With the RJ45 running 8 hours at 40% will generate 3.2 ppm of FC. That is aroudn what your pool will need.

You would need to run an RJ30 at 50% for 3.0 FC.

The RJ series lets you adjust % in 5% intervals. So either will work for you.
That info is exactly what I need to make my decision but I played with Pool math effect of adding and have no idea how you arrived at those numbers. Can you elaborate please.

SWGs produce chlorine gas. In the "Effects of adding" box, select "chlorine gas" from the drop-down menu. Convert pounds per day to ounces in the first box. You can calculate runtime/percentage from there. Does that help?

That info is exactly what I need to make my decision but I played with Pool math effect of adding and have no idea how you arrived at those numbers. Can you elaborate please.

22AF6ADF-2527-41A0-A5EF-CB1997FEE332.png
32577648-E33C-4DD6-A996-69D6B702E185.png

SWGs produce chlorine gas. In the "Effects of adding" box, select "chlorine gas" from the drop-down menu. Convert pounds per day to ounces in the first box. You can calculate runtime/percentage from there. Does that help?

Just select “SWG”, not "chlorine gas".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It looks like you're using the phone app. I tried the phone app (iphone) and can't get past the pool setup page. What am I missing?

What I posted was from my iPad and I have the app on iPhone also.

What is your problem you are hitting in setup?

It looks like you're using the phone app. I tried the phone app (iphone) and can't get past the pool setup page. What am I missing?
In pool math app hit the "effects of adding" menu. Then have the gallons menu filled and in the "chemical addition " category choose SWG and then keep going with a % and hours pool pump will run .That'll give you how much of an FC rise to expect with the given parameters.

Now you know your way around old and new Pool Math.

The SWCG will add 3.2 ppm of FC to the pool water during its cycle run. Your pool, during a 24 hour period, will lose a certain amount of FC. So what you start with and end with each cycle run depends on those factors.

The SWCG will add 3.2 ppm of FC to the pool water during its cycle run. Your pool, during a 24 hour period, will lose a certain amount of FC. So what you start with and end with each cycle run depends on those factors.
That makes sense, but what numbers should I put into the pool math calculator effect of adding to make sure my pool has 5 ppm FC? Why is 3.2 a good number for my pool?

The 3 ppm number is a median number. Your pool may be less or more. We typically say a pool will lose 2-4 ppm FC per day in swim season. So you will need to test your FC each morning (or at least several times per week) just before the SWCG starts generating for the day as that will be your lowest FC in the pool water for that day. Keep the amount you test at that time at or above your Target level based on your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.