How bad are these numbers?

If it's been three weeks it's done dissolving. Yes, raise your CYA -for an SWG you want it to be about 70-80.

Do you know how to add it, using the sock method?

If he added it to the sand filter, there's a chance some if it was lost if you backwashed at all after it was added....

As far as I know it was added through the sock. I did have to backwash twice since. Once due to pump pressure and once due to rain that had the pool pretty, pretty full. Is there some trick to adding it through the sock? Is it okay to use the pool during the process?

You put the CYA in a sock, tie it off, and make sure there is water flowing around the sock to get the CYA to dissolve. So we say put it in the skimmer or in front of a return jet. It's perfectly okay to use the pool while it's still dissolving (assuming your pH and FC are okay).
--paulr

Went to a different pool store today and brought a sample.
PH- 7.8- obviously due to the PH down I have been adding
TA-230- way higher than the first place that tested
CYA -10!!! Way lower than the first place
CL -4.0
So the guy there says add about 2 pounds of PH down for 5 consecutive days which will lower the PH and lower the TA. I asked him about the CYA and he said to bring in another sample in a week or so and we'll see where it is. No one seems to find the CYA level alarming. Am I dealing with Bozoes?

jonmar said:
Am I dealing with Bozoes?
Let's just say the levels of training and experience among pool store employees varies widely.

Are you putting in more CYA? Last report it was added 3 weeks ago. If you're putting in more, you should wait a week before trying to check the level.
--paulr

I will be putting in some more tomorrow since it is has been raining heavily since yesterday and I expect to have to drain some water. I have noticed a lot of bubbles sitting on my pool walls though. Something tells me this is to do with the TA level.

Oh yeah, since my pool isn't a convential shape, anyone want to hazard how many litre it is since the CYA I bought calls for 300g, per 10 000L
16 X 32, lagoon shape, deep end is 8 feet, shallow is 3. Thanks.

Added about 2 lbs of PH down this morning, and then 3 lbs of CYA in a skimmer sock. This morning my CL appeared to be about 3, and now at the end of a long hot sunny day it is 0!!!. Is this due to the low CYA and hot day? Should I super chlorinate or just turn it up a notch on the SWG dial? We use a solar blanket every night so I figure that will kind of lock some in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use liquid chlorine to bump up your FC level, never use the "boost" or "superchlorinate" setting on the SWG because that shortens the life of the cell.

Losing FC during the day can be attributed to low CYA, but the only way to tell is to take the sunlight out of the equasion and do an overnight FC loss test. The SWG must be off for this.

If your FC holds overnight, then it's just the lack of CYA and the SWG can't keep up.

I thought the blanket contributed since the sun is still up and the blanket is on. Our pool is in the sun from about 11 a.m. until it goes down and today was nothing but sun. As of right now, I apparently have 0 CL and I don't have any liquid. So, should I just leave the SWG running at 20%, or jack it up? I can't do the overnight test, since I don't have any to measure. If I turn by SWG off now, my test will show 0 CL, and tomorrow morning it will show 0. Just don't like the idea of idea of not having any CL in the pool.

I didn't realize you don't have any liquid on hand. Keep it running, some is for sure better than none. I'd take care of it asap though. Can you run to the nearest grocery store and grab a jug or two of clorox before closing?

It's gloomy/overcast here and almost dark. Sun? What's sun? Haven't seen much of it today. :mrgreen:

Yes, during the daylight ours, solar blankets cut down on FC loss, but doesn't always eliminate it.

If you leave the solar cover on during the day, it will cut down on UV breakdown of the chlorine somewhat. Any cover will do that, even clear ones. UV light is basically stopped by even something like celophane. I leave my cover on during the day if we are not using the pool. I can get a ~1-2 ppm increase in FC from morningt to night if i leave the cover on and maintain the generator at the same levels. Night time wont make any difference.

Unfortunately I am limited to the SWG tonight as there are no 24 hr grocery stores here. If I leave it running a bit higher than my normal output, how long does it take a SWG to recover?

Hey, you guys are always helpful. I just want to know if I should turn it up a notch or just keep the chlorine output percentage the same as always since my last test showed 0 CL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.