How aggressive with increasing calcium?

Sep 27, 2017
Conway, AR
Pool has been up since 6/19/17, Salt added 7/21/17. Plaster pool

I just got my test kit and didn't previously have a way to measure calcium. So measured it for the first time today with the new test kit.

parameters : pH 7.67

FC 4.2

Alk 75

CYA 50

CH 160!

How quickly and how much should I raise it? Planning on using Dow Flakes as I have actually used it to raise calcium in my reef aquarium with good results.

Slowly. No need to rush as your CSI is not very negative.

How are you testing? Pretty hard to get that accuracy on pH and that TA.

You can use a 10ml water sample for your FC (assuming you are using a FAS-DPD test). Divide your number of drops to clear by 2 to get your FC.

Take care.

I'm using a photometer made by Hanna instruments for alkalinity and their digital pH probe calibrated with both pH 7 and 10 standards. The titration from the test kit registered 70 on alkalinity and the pH was closest to 7.6 as best I could tell I struggle with color comparison charts even though the one on the test kit is one of the easier ones I've used.

On FC my test kit instructions say to multiply the number of drops to clear by 0.2....or that's what I thought it said. I'll go look at that again! Thank you mknauss!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.