How add T joint with valves to pump intake

Young707

Jul 9, 2020
West Coast
Like to add a T Joint with valves between pool outlet to pump intake 1-1/4" hose.
So that we can use the pump as vaccum for dirts at the bottom of the pool. What kind of T joint and valves available on the market?
What is your pool vacuum head experiences?

I have 7000+ gallon above ground pool. The pool out let is 1-1/4" hose from pool outlet to pump intake.

How to make sure the pump intake is always sucking water?
Thank you.

Most people attach the vac hose directly to the skimmer or the intake that is on the side of the pool- whichever u have

For your other question- if you keep the vac & hose submerged & have purged all the air from it before connecting the hose there should be no way for the pump to suck air

The pool outlet to the intake of pump is 1-1/4" hose slip with clamp. Very fragile heat pressed to the plastic pool liner. Would not touch this joint wearily to put any weight to this joint to cause any crack or leakage. Would rather make joint outside at the pump intake area.

You may be better off getting a stand-alone type vacuum like this or similar that just collects the debris in a bag.
7D39309C-8FE5-43E9-BFE6-7090DB33298B.jpeg
or you can use a standard vac setup like a siphon

From my limited reading on those pools its hard to believe for their price that they can’t stand up to normal maintenance like vacuuming. They just kinda look like intex pools.
If you decide to put a “t” of some sort you will also need a valve- to stop the flow from the pool. Standard pvc fittings should work.
Going this route you may have a harder time ensuring the vac hose has no air in it whilst attempting to connect it every time.
Maybe pics of your equipment etc. would be helpful.

Mine is like the first one I linked above, except that it has a 90º hose connector so that the hose points out the weir door and into the pool.

With the pump running, set suction to the skimmer only.
Then, with the hose hooked to your vac head and to the adapter plate, place the adapter plate in the skimmer. The suction of the pump will hold it there. I don't use anything else to hold it.

Best if you can have the vac head and hose and adapter already in the pool and full of water. You don't want the pump to suck air out of the line. And if you raise the vac head above water while using it, the pump will get a gup of air and lose prime/suction. Which means the skimmer adapter will float up out of the skimmer. Air = bad!

Andrew

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could use that if you have 1.5" threaded returns in your pool wall.

If you have an intex style return, this adapter let's you hook a hose on the inside of the pool: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Intex-Hose-Adapter/1002712220

This style can go inside a skimmer box. The hose would come straight out the top of the skimmer: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aqua-EZ-Plastic-Vacuum-plate/3027674

This one is similar, but also has a 90º adapter to allow the hose to come out through the weir door: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Above-Ground-Vacuum-Plate-White/5001174933

Andrew

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.