Houston Pool Build-Would You Do Anything Different?

Apr 30, 2018
Houston
View attachment 77994Hi everyone!

We've posted a few times and we're finally ready to start. We've settled on a PB that we've got a good feeling about but before we sign, we'd like to know from you guys if what we've got is what you'd do again if you were re-building. We've been looking at the "What Would You Do Different" threads and we're hoping some of you will look at what we've got below and let us know, based on your experience, if it's good. Any help is appreciated here. Thank you!

We're building in Houston, TX. We are located in the city (not surrounding areas).

General Specifications:
Pool Perimeter: 78
Pool Depth: 3.5' x 4.5' x 4'
Area: 302
Fence R/R Sections: Yes
Concrete Removal: 186
Saw Cut: None
Stumps: None
Pool Gallons +/-: 7800
Excavation Method: Standard Machine
Haul Dirt Off: Yes
Steel and Plumbing
Main Drains: 2
Overflow Line: No – Per city code
Steel: 8" O.C.
P-Trap: None
*Gas line: Inc.
Pool Skimmer(s): 2
Backwash: None
Pool Return Lines: 4
Fill Line: Manual Fill Line

Electrical - includes up to 100' of electrical run
Over 100': 55
SubPanel: Yes
Light Switch Location: At Pool Equipment Pad
Extra Switches: None
Extra GFCI(s): None
Electric Notes: None

Tile and Coping
Pool Tile (Std): 6" Tile
Trim/Spot Tile: None
Pool Coping: Travertine - Std.
Deck Laterals: None
Flagstone Veneer: None
Brick Veneer: None

Decking
Deck Type 1: Travertine Pavers
Type 1 Square Feet: 400
Deck Type 2: None
Type 2 Square Feet:
None Top Existing: None
Existing Square Feet: None
Deck Drains: 4 Inch PVC Pipe
Drain footage: 145
TurnDowns: None
Deck Steps: None
Tie in Downspouts: One

Interior Features
Bench(es): 1
Tanning Ledge(s): 1
Beach Entry: None
Set Entry Steps: Included
Extra Entry Steps: None
Ext. 2nd Step: None
Gunite Table: None
Fourth Step: None
Raised Pool wall: 21' of 6" Raised wall and 15.5' of 12" raised wall
Material on Front: tile or ledger - standard grade
Material Back: unfinished gunite
Columns on wall: None
Wing Walls: None
Pool Plaster: PebbleSheen Grade 1

Pool Equipment
Pool Pump: TriStar Variable Speed
Pool Filter: Hayward 525SF Cartridge
Purification: Chlorinator
Auto Cleaner: Hayward Navigator
Pool Light(s): Color LED
Quantity: 1
Pool Controller: E-Command
***Heater: Hawyard 400k BTU
Chiller: None
Booster Pump 1: Hayward 2HP Booster
Booster 2: None

Spa
Spa Included: Custom Spa
Spa Jets: 6
Spa Raised: 6 Inches
Spa Blower: Silencer
Spa Light: Color LED

Water Features
Spillway: Negative Edge
Veneering: Standard Tile or Ledgerstone
2' Scuppers: 3
Bubblers: 1

Also adding remote system (smart system controlled from an app) for Pool Equipment.

I would skip the Chlorinator and go SWG. More than likely the PB will says don’t because they don’t understand that keeping your pool balanced is easy and pucks are a bad idea. They may even talk about the salt being corrosive for natural stone but again all false flags.

We built last year and I didn’t mind adding liquid chlorine everyday however i regreted not adding a swg at the time. I just installed one myself and it takes the hassle out of it lugging in bottles of bleach. Especially in Houston’s summer heat.

For the cleaner I would stay away from suction and get a robot. First depending on which pump it’s plumbed to you could be eating electricity. Second the robot in my opinion cleans better and could allow you to have a smaller water feature pump depending on if it is plumbed to the 2hp pump.

Thanks for your input! I've done a lot of research on SWG vs. Puck Chlorinators and from what I can gather, there is a possibility that the salt content can damage components in the vicinity (including stone). Given that, I don't feel comfortable, at this point, going with a SWG. I am open to hearing more on the topic, but as it stands, we have a puck chlorinator on the plans. I know many people with puck chlorinators and they don't seem to have any issues, so I'm not sure on this one. In-laws have had chlorine and now SW and they mentioned that their coping is getting chewed up a bit, presumably from salt. Our PB says he'll put in whatever we want, but suggests going with a chlorinator for ease of use. He says he only spends about 20 mins a week on his pool with puck chlorinator (he has had SWG in the past).

Here are some questions I have based on reading old threads on the forum. If anybody else has additional considerations I may have missed, please feel free to throw in your opinions:

- Should we specify 2” plumbing
- Is one bubbler enough? Our tanning shelf size is roughly 8’x6’
- Is 6” depth on shelf good, or should we go a bit deeper?
- Is the 2HP booster pump power too much for 3 scuppers?
- We don’t plan on putting speakers or anything in the backyard, but I assume we should run electrical for additional outlets around the deck?
- Should all of our plumbing runs be home runs?
- Is one bench in deep end enough?
- Should all plumbing runs have their own independent shut off valve?
- Is automation (smart phone control) worthwhile?
- Should we opt for a robot instead of the suction vacuum?
- Is a gas heater okay or should we look at a heat pump for Houston climate?
- Are 4 returns and 2 skimmers appropriate for our size pool?
- Should we stick with manual fill line or go to autofill?
- If we decide to switch to SWG later, is there anything we should do now to make that easier?

I didn’t see the picture the first time around so let me say I love the design and how it fits your back yard.

Is automation (smart phone control) worthwhile?
- Should we opt for a robot instead of the suction vacuum?
- Is a gas heater okay or should we look at a heat pump for Houston climate?
- Should we stick with manual fill line or go to autofill?

We had a pool in a previous house in the Woodlands It didn’t have automation, had a chlorinator and a suction cleaner and no auto fill.

With the hot hot summers I would get the auto fill or you’ll be filling once a week in the hot summer months.

Automation for me ne was a must. I can control everything from my phone and not have to go to the panel (great in the winter when turning on the spa)

gas is inexpensive in Texas and we use the heater for the spa a majority of the time. Our pools already at 88 degrees but does get full sun. From my understanding a heat pump takes longer to heat but is more efficient. So it depends on what your goal of the heater is. This thread may help
https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/109781-Heat-pump-in-Houston

As I said previously I’d go for a robot. We’ve had both and the robot is 100% better.

as for pucks. It’s your pool but please read through pool school https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/

In our last house we used to use pool stores and always ended up with some type of issue. When we moved and started to build our dream pool I found this site and have not looked back. At the very least get the recommended test kit.

As for the SWG you could asked them to plum a straight run after the heater so you can install it with ease. As for corrosion their are 100’s of threads on the topic. All the research I’ve done points to no issues. It’s all about water chemistry and keeping the pool balanced.

Thanks for the input, again!

The auto fill does seem like a good idea, especially considering how hot our summers get.

We're pretty much set on upgrading to automation. We like the idea of controlling everything from the phone and remotely.

We're also thinking that we should definitely have the PB specify in contract plumbing size and anything else we discuss that could be "forgotten" during the build.

Quick update:

We're looking at a normal tablet chlorinator, but also a secondary system that uses a peristaltic chemical injection pump and a bleach tank. Anybody have opinions on this? I figure we can use the pucks until CYA gets to the high end, then switch over to bleach injection.

They're basically redundant. Both delivery methods for chlorine. As has been mentioned previously the use of pucks can cause problems long term. I'd ditch the pucks and opt for the chemical injection pump/bleach tank to be my main source of chlorination.

If you can bury the storage container in the ground and shade it then you’ll be good. I wouldn’t store more than a few days supply in it in the summer as heat breaks down chlorine and makes it weaker. Also I’ve read the you’ll have semi annual maintenance on the pump. I’m not sure what that entails.

I understand your swg concerns but first if you keep your pool balanced you shouldn’t have any issues. My sister live on Los Angeles and has natural stone and concrete and has had a swg for 6 years with not issues.

As for pucks if you truly use the TFP method you don’t want to use them long term. It makes your CYA rise and then you have a viscous cycle of dumping water adding water and rebalancing.

Our last pool we used pucks until I found TGP with. Our new pool. I can throw a dime in the deep end (6 1/2 ft) and can see if it’s heads or takes. I can also make out that the screws on the intakes are Phillips heads.

I challenge you to go see a friends pool on pucks and see if the same is true :)

I like the dual function option. (Erosion feeder and injectors)

I have injectors for chlorine and acid now. When the cya gets low, I use pucks to raise it back up, but I didn’t do an erosion feeder so I currently just use floaters in the pool. We are getting a solar breeze next week so I can toss a couple pucks in it going forward.

If you can plumb for both, that would be ideal.

98ba6c21214d8517177c1249f3240967.jpg
94523ae421e10849a3db63c597ce0f7f.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all for the insightful input!

Getting another pump for acid is a thought. How often are you needing to add acid in your pool, @back_yard_lap_pool? I never really considered having to add that much acid with a standard chlorine pool (SWG would definitely need one).

Picked decking, coping, tile, and finishes last weekend. Just waiting for HOA now!

Thank you all for the insightful input!

Getting another pump for acid is a thought. How often are you needing to add acid in your pool, @back_yard_lap_pool? I never really considered having to add that much acid with a standard chlorine pool (SWG would definitely need one).

Picked decking, coping, tile, and finishes last weekend. Just waiting for HOA now!

Still trying to dial that in right now. I’m guessing between a pint and a quart a day, but I just installed the acid pump a week ago so I haven’t quite figured out the right daily quantities yet.

(I used to just add a gallon when the ph got above 7.8 to get it back to 7.5, but never really timed the interval)

Update: We have HOA approval!

Decided to use the same color travertine for decking and coping to get a more seamless look. Travertine will be the white-ish paver the left side of the photo.

We have cable and electrical in the way of the current pool plans, so we will probably need to shorten the pool or pay a lot to move these.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.