Houston pool build - all filled up, time to swim!

PXL_20201012_192301824.jpg
Screenshot_20201012-141635.png

Inside the pool is wet edge prism matrix moonlight. The spa was supposed to be a new color that is pretty much straight black called Starfall in their primera stone. However the new color wouldn't be available for a few more weeks so they did their discontinued diamond head treasure color. I think the new name for this color is Hanna Beach. We wanted the primera stone for the spa so that it is smooth. I won't get a glimpse of the spa till they come back tomorrow and polish it revealing the pebble and glass beads. The acid wash will improve the look of the moonlight too.

Reactions: kcarlile and Girija
Wow, that's beautiful. 👍 Just spoke to my PB . . . they ONLY use Pebble Tec Products for mini pebble and quartz. I thought it might be just part of the package "deal" we got, but no, my options are, in fact, very limited. So disappointing! I've read a lot of great things about the Primera, and also StoneQuartz, which has a really great color selection. Oh well, six months ago I didn't even know there were options other than plaster!

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
We were originally supposed to use Pebble Sheen. I wasn't really happy with any of their colors as most of them seemed to be almost half filled with brown and tan pebbles. Our wet edge still has some but not nearly as many. We will see if I end up liking the prism series in the pool as I hate rough pebble finishes..

You'll be perfectly happy with Pebble Sheen as long as you like a color that isn't a level 2 or level 3 which tacks on $3,000+

One last picture for the day...just realized they forgot the umbrella holder in the tanning ledge...hope they can fix that tomorrow or the wife is gonna be angry ...lol

PXL_20201012_195607633.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha, I know it's not a laughing matter but the part about the wife made me laugh. Maybe they can fix it before she even notices! Do let us know what happens. Perhaps the hole is there, but just got covered? Curious. Well, between the Sheen and Fina I'm leaning towards the quartz Fina, b/c I like it smoooooth. :) I know what you mean about their colors - And there are even less color options with the Fina than the Sheen! For example, they only have ONE option for medium blue water (Steel Grey) Crazy! BYW, the stair and bench tiles look great!

Fina was actually my original plan. It took a bit of research and I had actually planned on the Steel Grey too, but it seemed like a risky finish to choose. Lookup the severe mottling and complaints in any of the colors darker than bella blue in the fina line. Also since its quartz you don't get the same life out of the finish like you do with the sheen or other alternatives and the mottling gets worse every year with the fina.

If you can live with the mottling and don't mind that it might only last 10-15 yrs, its still a great option + it might save a little money too vs sheen. Also there is SOME pebble at the surface so it doesn't look like completely plain plaster and it was very smooth.

Reactions: Girija
I would discourage you from hanging electric lights from the balcony to across the pool.
Actually I believe it is against all "pool laws" <--made up term

If anyone can clarify the safety rule here, please do. @JamesW ? @ajw22 ??

Maddie
That makes sense I guess, I just never thought about it and have swam in several pools with string lights hung above. Never thought about getting shocked lol. Would solar string lights be safe?

Last edited:
The basic pool safety law is that water and electricity don't mix. The NEC says that electrical service lines must be at least 22 feet above a pool and lower voltage communication lines must be at least 10 feet above a pool.

The danger is not just that a wire may fall into a pool. Pool poles are often 15 feet or longer and can make contact with a wire above the pool. Even a low voltage shock can injure a person with various medical conditions or medical implants.

It is best simply to not mix electical near a pool. There are may other ways to light a pool area from a safe distance.

Reactions: HermanTX
I'm looking more into solar string lights. I wouldn't imagine a tiny solar panel could carry enough current to be a problem even if it fell or a pool pole brushed against it and shorted somehow.

In other news, acid wash and spa polishing is done. Here is what the finishes look like now while wet....and we're filling!!

Spa
PXL_20201013_171249906.jpg

Pool
PXL_20201013_190145058.jpg

Filling
PXL_20201013_190801814.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWG = Salt Water Generator , so yes a Salt Pool.

I just had mine built, and will tell you that the PB hardly builds the pool. Mine only designed it and marked it, after that it was all different trades. Out of the 7 pool companies I got quotes from only one stated that the crew for excavation/plumbing/rebar was in-house staff. Hopefully your PB is good about keeping an eye on it.
I've seen a couple of posts now about pool builders who also do pool service in Texas. I'm starting to wonder if they discourage saltwater pools because it eats into the maintenance business. We have saltwater pools all over Florida. Nobody quoted us a pool that wasn't saltwater. The anti-salt water pool thing seems to be really a Texas thing. We absolutely love our salt water chlorine generator, making our maintenance so much easier.

It might be crazy to do in Houston but I have selected to go with pebble sheen in ocean blue. It is by far my favorite color, and I think the darker water just simply looks more elegant/modern. None medium colors do it for me like blue surf/prizm blue/granite blue. Originally I was going to go with steel grey in the pebble fina because i want a smoother surface, but it seems to not offer the life sheen or tec does and it also suffers from extreme mottling in every picture i can find, even the ones pebble tec uses on their own website gallery.

I'll probably be back here next summer adding a chiller, but it will only be if my wife demands it. i actually LIKE warm water and 90-92 is no problem for me. However, 95+ might be pushing it. One possible benefit of having such a dark interior color is that hopefully in early spring and late fall, the dark color will help the pool heat up from the sun without as much help from the heater.
I wanted a deeper blue... I wish we had gone with ocean blue instead of blue granite.

That post about the pebble sheen didn't age well 🤣 we went with wet edge moonlight in the pool and wet edge primera stone - diamond head treasure for the spa. Pool is close to full now, I was in it at 7 this morning when it was 63 degrees out hahaha. I'll post another picture after water is balanced and it shouldn't be green after that.

PXL_20201014_152716725.jpg
PXL_20201014_152736379.jpg

That post about the pebble sheen didn't age well 🤣 we went with wet edge moonlight in the pool and wet edge primera stone - diamond head treasure for the spa. Pool is close to full now, I was in it at 7 this morning when it was 63 degrees out hahaha. I'll post another picture after water is balanced and it shouldn't be green after that.

View attachment 165721
View attachment 165722
Beautiful! Congratulations!!!!

Looking good!

One other thing to add on your string light conversation (besides the electricity concern) you also have to worry about the glass bulbs. A good wind or hail storm and you could end up with a whole lot of broken glass in the pool, which would not be fun to clean up.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.