Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

I think those a pics from a magazine! SO pretty looking!

What have you been using to get in the narrow channel around the spa? That is such a neat touch but.......the cleaning could be a bear! LOL

Kim:cat:
Pics for a magazine...high praise indeed!! Thanks Kim.

For the narrow channel, most areas can be cleaned with a thinner brush. One area is too narrow - but we put a return right there...so it will have decent circulation of water. PB suggested hosing it occassionally but said to watch and see how the pool behaves and we can find a solution as required - like increase swg chlorination or longer pump run times. Let's see what happens.

Phil, your pool and yard look beautiful! Great job all around! How'd you manage to get all of that landscaping done with all of the rain? We've just now started on ours and have about half done.
Marla...thanks. Frankly, I think I got lucky with the landscaper crew . Nah...let's says it's God's wonderful grace! Landscaper knocks on my door asking whether we need to fix sprinklers and grass since he saw PB'S sign outside the house. One thing let to the next and he fixed sprinklers, grass, added 70 shrubs, laid pebbles on both side yards, added flagstone pavers on stones, laid Mexican beach pebble near pool - all in 4 days. Total of 4 people working hard...first day it was raining hard and they were fixing the sprinklers on that day. The landscaper also did not want any payment till job was completed (I did pay 50% once 90% was complete). No formal contract. Just a shake of hands...we discussed general type of plants and pebbles. That's it.

He bought a lot of extra compost and laid it on my front yard and sideyard trees / shrubs. I did not ask him to do that.

Very fortunate that he knocked on my door:) Timing and price were great (in my opinion).

Marla...thanks. Frankly, I think I got lucky with the landscaper crew . Nah...let's says it's God's wonderful grace! Landscaper knocks on my door asking whether we need to fix sprinklers and grass since he saw PB'S sign outside the house. One thing let to the next and he fixed sprinklers, grass, added 70 shrubs, laid pebbles on both side yards, added flagstone pavers on stones, laid Mexican beach pebble near pool - all in 4 days. Total of 4 people working hard...first day it was raining hard and they were fixing the sprinklers on that day. The landscaper also did not want any payment till job was completed (I did pay 50% once 90% was complete). No formal contract. Just a shake of hands...we discussed general type of plants and pebbles. That's it.

He bought a lot of extra compost and laid it on my front yard and sideyard trees / shrubs. I did not ask him to do that.

Very fortunate that he knocked on my door:) Timing and price were great (in my opinion).

Wow! What a blessing! Would you mind PMing his info? He certainly did an excellent job because now you have the complete paradise back there!! Was he reasonable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every bit of it says Wow!!! Your gray rock is a perfect contrast to the coping and pool color - not to mention functional. Are those moon rocks? I love those! I have a tub full but can't decide where to put them in my new landscaping. I like your side yard work, too! I've still got one 'dud' side in the back - maybe next year! Ha!!

Thanks Suz...Those are regular Mexican beach pebble. He got them in bags that had the Vigoro brand on it. I think his supplier ran out of this rock - he bought them onsite in three batches.

I think stones like these will go anywhere. Besides, you can always pick them up and relocate them if you are not happy :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Give Steve a call at Trinity Pools in Katy. He is a straight shooter. He just re-plastered our pool and beadblasted the tile and stone waterfall. On time, under budget. Under promised and over delivered. The best contractor experience I have ever had. He also did my neighbors pool a few weeks later which included replacing the tile.

I was planning to yes. Any reason not to? what is the best material to use for the last few inches of the top of he pool near the water line? glasses small tiles seem to be poplular and look great like this pool
The bullnose coping is sometimes slicker than the tumbled pavers. We used Keystone "light travertine" pavers and the light bullnose coping was honed and quite a bit slicker. The coping was beautiful, but too slick for us. We were talked out of using travertine pavers on the stairs down to our backyard due to it being slick, so ended up using limestone slabs for the steps.

For waterline tile, there are 2 schools of thought on using glass tile...one is they look great, the other is they will be a maintenance nightmare as the grout and tile will develop a line/stain over time that is hard to clean. We used 1"x1" glass tiles and time will tell if we are right. Most people use 6"x6" tiles because glass tile is more expensive for the tile and for installation (they need a water proof membrane installed behind them, etc).

Thanks bdrex. Oleander along fence. Fox tail just in front. Ginger something is near the table. Some knock out roses on far side of fence. Wife is planning a herb vegetable garden in sideyard and will probably add on stuff as time goes.

I was going to ask the same thing!! We are just 2hrs east of Houston, so our climate is much the same. I've been researching ideas to plant near the pool b/c it has no shade! My go-to plants in the front yard are thriving b/c of all the shade trees but probably won't survive in the full sun in the back! Love your choices! Is the variegated ginger a shade plant? or does it do well with lots of sun also? I have the fox ferns and love them! they are so hearty! They even survived that epic snow we had this past winter in LA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.