Housing bolts problems

TexasTea2

Feb 28, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hello. We have a Hayward Super II EZ pump and housing system that we have maintained on a DIY basis for 20 years. We have encountered a new problem that seems simple but is turning out to be a major challenge. Two of the six metal female receptacles in the housing strainer body have pulled out from the housing itself. This means that we can no longer screw in the bolts that attach the motor mounting/seal plates to the housing body. We have tried reseating them into the holes where they belong with JB Weld but that does not hold them sufficiently in place. This may be because JB Weld is not the correct "glue" for this situation (polypropylene housing?). Other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. $250 for a new housing (plus all the PVC piping replacement) seems like overkill for these two little copper/brass fittings. Clearly the manufacturer is able to anchor these. For a picture, I am talking about the 6 metal holes here: Hayward Pump Housing Strainer, 1-1/2"" W/drain Plugs - SPX3100AAZ - INYOPools.com Thanks all!

5110-22.jpg

Aha! I had just discovered that solution in one of your other posts. Thank you. Since this kit seems to come with 2 taps, buying one kit oughta do it, right? I also see that heating the insert with a soldering iron can work. Do you have any experience with one vs. the other? Thanks again.

If you have two bolts loose you need two kits.

Go to the Inyopools site. The kit is for one bolt. If you have multiple bolts to repair, you will need multiple kits.

I did look at the Inyo link. Unfortunately, people there ask the same question, but answer remains unclear. No instructions with the kit apparently. Do I assume that both taps go into one hole? Also not clear what the nut is for, since there is no nut involved in this situation. James: you agree that only one kit needed for two holes with loose inserts? Thanks.

I have used the kit and from what I remember the original bolts work.

I think that the bolt is used just to install the brass inserts.

I think that you screw the nut onto the bolt and then the brass insert and then screw it in with the bolt.

I think that the kit contains instructions.

I would get just one kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the inserts are the ones on the sides, you might be able to drill all the way through and use a longer bolt and nut on the far side and not use the inserts at all.

You might need to shave down the rib some if it's in the way.

W3SP3010X15A-03.jpg

Last edited:
I think that the bolt thread is 3/8-16 and you can get inserts at home depot..

Verify the size.

I think that you drill the original hole a little bit bigger and then thread the brass insert into the plastic.

You might warm up the plastic some to make the brass easier to install and less likely to crack.

Or, maybe use some epoxy to help set the brass in place.

The brass has slots for a big screwdriver to screw down the insert.

I think that you can also use the bolts and nut to install the brass insert.

Below is a pack of 10 or they are sold individually.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.