Champaign, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We are looking into having a standalone hot tub installed in the Midwest that can seat four or five people. We are also having a fiberglass pool installed around the same time with a swcg. It is tough to say for certain but I would estimate the hot tub will be used year round at least once or twice a week. I am looking for recommendations on if I should buy a hot tub that comes with a swcg, buy one that is rated for salt and buy a separate generator, or if I would be better off doing chlorine.

Also, I do suffer from sore muscles, especially shoulders and upper back, is the extra expense for massage jets worth it? What about the foot and leg massage jets? I have actually never been in a hot tub (my husband is the one pushing for the hot tub) so any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

You will love a hot tub :) Get as many jets as you can.. Because they are all fiberglass they all can have a SWG in them but the one that already comes with one may be a little better... Most get this SWG for there tubs.. Amazon.com: Saltron Mini Salt System Drop-In Saltwater Chlorine Generator for Hot Tubs & Swim Spas - up to 2000 Gallons: Garden & Outdoor

Mine had 3, 2.5 inch sport jets that would beat you into submission and were really awesome on your back..

You will use chlorine after a soak and let the SWG keep the chlorine up during non use... the Ozone will take care of the CC's after the chlorine eats all the nasties from using the tub... :)

I am looking for recommendations on if I should buy a hot tub that comes with a swcg, buy one that is rated for salt and buy a separate generator, or if I would be better off doing chlorine.
I think built in would be much more convenient, but I know that some brands have cells that wear out super fast and cost a ton to replace. Perhaps @RDspaguy can say which brands of tubs with built in SWCG last a while and which ones to avoid.

You can add a SWCG to any standalone spa, it doesn’t have to be rated for it.

Also, I do suffer from sore muscles, especially shoulders and upper back, is the extra expense for massage jets worth it?
Better to have jets and not use them all the time then not have jets and don’t use them. My wife can use jets for hours. I usually like a 15 minute cycle one or twice during our typically several hour long soaks. Just depends on the person.

What about the foot and leg massage jets?
Mine doesn’t have leg jets, but it has a foot massage jet in the center bottom of the tub facing upwards, that can route the ENTIRE output from one of the two pumps through. It’s quite amazing if your foot needs a massage.

It is tough to say for certain but I would estimate the hot tub will be used year round at least once or twice a week.
Less in the summer, more in the spring/fall/winter if our experience is anything to go buy. Some summer days are just too hot to soak, but that’s what the pool’s for. Winter is the best time to use the tub!
full

Well, I personally am not a fan of swg even in a pool, much less a spa, so I would say go with chlorine and ozone. But they are popular among some folks here who swear by them.
I only know of one brand with a built-in, hot springs, and theirs are very problematic from what I hear.

Reactions: Dogmom1
We have been looking at master spa – twilight series and balance 7 for non SWCG and Caldera Utopia and Paradise series for SWCG. If anyone has a hot tub where they love or hate the jets I would love to hear about your hot tub, we are not set on any certain kind!

Sounds like you are taking on a project very similar to ours! Great minds think alike!
We are getting close now so excitement is building with our dig day planned for the 15th of this month, and our spa is ready and waiting to be delivered.

Anyway, the point of my post was related to hot tub choice. We went through that process in the fall, and it was kind of painful. We considered HotSprings, Jacuzzi, Artesian, Marquis, Bullfrog, and Master Spa.

Some points to note that we have learned through the process:
- one of the most important factors is the dealer, make sure you weigh that variable accordingly
- there are many different opinions and options on insulation
- The built in water treatment cartridge systems are expensive to maintain (most here use the dichlor / bleach method)
- Filtration is filtration by and large, some tubs have continuous recirc pumps others do not, that doesn’t necessarily mean one is better than the other
- More jets is important, but size of jets is also important
- comfort is king- WET TEST if at all possible
- there are some really knowledgeable and helpful people on here regarding spas, after looking around the forum I would suggest asking questions

Note - Master Spas has a strange dealer network, maybe they are good in your area, but despite the factory being only 3 hours from our house, they had no dealer nearby for us. That was an immediate deciding factor for us. Also, there are many videos online from “hot tub univ” that are seemingly very informative. Please keep in mind though that the guy that does those videos is affiliated with Master Spas - the brand he speaks most positively about.

Best of luck with your project!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.