hot tub blower

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
so i have a pool i am renovating, it has a hot tub on the side next to it. the hot tub has 4 lines going to it.
1 - 2 bottom drains
2 - 2 more bottom drains and one side jet near the bottom
3 - one side jet near the top
4 - 4 jets around the tub

should i be using line 3 for a blower on the spa? not sure if maybe i am missing that? i dont see a spot for it otherwise. appreciate any help.

Reactions: RDspaguy
While you could pump air through a water return, it will not have the effect you are looking for from a spa blower. It will blow in a large stream of air that will rise straight up from the jet and create a bit of a boiling fountain that splashes water in everyones faces. I would not recommend it as I do not think you will be happy with the results.
If you really want a blower (which I think of as a "spa cooler") you might repurpose a line and connect to it in the spa with a perforated pvc ring in the footwell. Thus spreading out the air flow and creating the effect you are looking for.
Your pipe assesment seems strange, I would think the "side jet near the bottom" should be connected to the #3 side jet, not the drains. But I did not plumb it, so couldn't say for sure. It just seems odd to me.

just tested my lines again and i was off but here is what i have. guess there is no blower line for the hot tub, i thought those were standard
1. pool main drain
2. 2 skimmers on pool
3. 2 hot tub bottom drains
4. 2 more hot tub bottom drains
5. hot tub jets 4 of them
6. one jet top of hot tub
7. one jet bottom of hot tub
8 jets into pool

Do you have a separate pool/spa filter pump and a spa jet pump?

Do you have a separate pool/spa filter pump and a spa jet pump?
Has to with 4 drains in the tub.
Blowers used to be standard in spas, and used to be the primary "jet" system. But not for a long time. High power efficient pumps provide better water action, and blowers cool the water rapidly, so often go unused anyway. Most portable spas do not even offer them as an option anymore.

Trying figure out why they have two separate jets on separate lines

One set of returns and line is switched to your pool pump and filter.

The other jets and line is for a dedicated spa pump and higher flow.

That is why you have two sets of drains in your Spa floor. One set for each pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
here are the lines at the equipment side.
the 4 on the left are the main drains for pool and hot tub and skimmer, the four on the right are the returns for the hot tub and the one with two 90s is the return for the pool.
so if i am just putting everything on one pump for now to save a few bucks also we do not use hot tubs alot generally due to the heat here in the summer i guess i just put them all to my pump and can split them off in the future if i decide to add another pump at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_193356 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200419_193356 (1).jpg
    820.5 KB · Views: 1
Whatever works for you. I think you will find your spa being a hot bathtub with little water force coming out of any jets when you split the flow between so many. The dedicated spa pump that does not go through a filter can provide a much greater flow to the jets.

plan was to just direct all flow to hot tub when folks want it there and let pool water sit for a bit. we spend most of our time in the pool and i would get rid of the hottub if i could but since its there easier to leave it for now.

Ok. So you don't know how it was originally plumbed to the equipment?
Running individual home-runs is not a bad idea, allowing for individual valves for flow regulation, or ease of isolating pipes in the event of future leaks. Most builders do not do this because of all the extra pipe and fittings, and labor, involved.
Typically, there are 2 heat returns, one low and one high, for good heat dispersion and circulation. Those would go to the main filter/ pump/ heater system, possibly shared with the pool. The 4 jets would normally have a separate jet pump, typically much stronger (higher hp) than the main pump. Each of these pumps would utilize 2 of the drains.
If you only have one pump you will not get much pressure at the jets, as ajw mentioned. Especially if the two heat returns are on as well.
Either way, you will need valves to switch the filter pump from pool to spa, or overflow/ waterfall if you have one.

i cut out the old plumbing, it was a mess and not correct the last owner had the pool shut down for years. i do have a waterfall but no separate return for that i assume i just send more water to the hot tub. i am plumbing the pool to have a shut off for each line so i can isolate everything as needed. this i think will enable me to control flow quite a bit. if/when we decide to run the hot tub as intended i would just cut those lines loose and replumb them to the new pump for the hot tub.

Reactions: RDspaguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.