Hot SWG box

Derekb

Jun 9, 2016
Merion Station PA
Our Aqua Rite is acting up. Some days when I check, the “no flow” and “inspect cell” lights are on. If I turn it off then back on and reset the saline indicator then all is fine. The cell is relatively new, a year or two.
I just replaced the varistor on the board. The top right hand of the box gets very hot.
Any ideas? My search came up with nothing for a hot SWG.

Last edited:
I just did a quickie google. Why are you poking around and "fixing" things? When you say "cell" is that a user-replaceable part, but the whole unit is older? Excuse my ignorance, I don't know Aqua Rite...

All Aqua Rite® and Aqua Trol® systems have a 3 year limited warranty. ... For warranty service simply call the Hayward technical service department at 908-355-7995 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm).

Ah, perhaps best to pretend I was never here... 🙄

Last edited:
I believe the heat sink is on the top right but I am sure you already know that.. Id it in direct sun? Can you put some kind of shade or cover on it to help it stay cooler?

Just spent a few hours going through things. The first thing I noticed was a rather dirty switch on the display board. Some brown gunk. I cleaned that off as best as I could with a q-tip and alcohol. Then put some Deoxit (electrical contact cleaner) on the pads that are the obvious switch contacts. It did not look burned, but just sticky. I was hopeful that would solve things. Until....
I checked a few voltages. Board read 36.6 seemed good. Checked line voltage. 280...... thought I used the wrong settings on my multimeter. Checked again, still 280. I checked the meter box as it had just been opened a few weeks ago to check for LOW voltage. It also read 280. So now we have the opposite problem of low voltage. House outlets read 140.
I called the electric company they will hopefully get it resolved soon.
But, perhaps the line voltage has been high for a week and I have not checked until today. That would make sense why the box is getting so hot.

The SWG box has been working fine for over 10 years. And it’s in the same location, so no change there. And yes, it has been bloody hot here outside of Philadelphia for the past few weeks.
I will hope electric supply issue is resolved and that solves It.

Reactions: Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.