Hose suddenly started leaking and now completely twisted

Hi guys, my pool has been running fine for the past few years and I'm a relatively new pool owner.
A few mornings ago the hoses going from my heater to the sand filter started leaking. One of them had previously had a very small drip, but it seemed to resolve itself and I figured maybe the clamps just needed tightening. But the other day it was just spewing water. I turned the hose to see if it would correct, but it would probably have filled a large pail with water from the leak in about an hour or less, so it was leaking pretty badly.

My wife ran it this morning for about 10 minutes with a bucket under the hose to heat the built in spa. I went in with the hope of trying some vaseline and to re-tighten all the clamps, but when I did I found the hoses completely twisted (see attached photos).

Is this from excess heat or not enough water flowing through?? I've never seen this problem before. The hoses on the equipment are probably pretty old, but I would think they are just rubber hoses so they would last a long time and I wouldn't expect them to twist so badly.

Wondering if anyone has advice on how to fix this, where I can purchase new hoses and how to avoid this in the future?
Of course we have a birthday/pool party coming up next weekend and now I can't run the pump. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• hose-twisting-heater-to-filter.jpg
    hose-twisting-heater-to-filter.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 11
  • pool-hose-twisted.jpg
    pool-hose-twisted.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 11
We don't often see flex hoses used in an inground pool. The right fix is to pipe it with rigid schedule 40 PVC.

Old enough that pools are not plumbed that way anymore.

Pipes have pressure and vacuum from the temperature and pressure changes of the water. It looks like the flex hose lost its structure and collapsed from the cycles. That is why you use schedule 40 pipes and fittings that are pressure rated.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was in a bind and needed to fix this quickly as we had a pool party so I replaced with flex hose (not with schedule 40 pvc) but with the same flex hose. It's been about 4 weeks and for some reason it has twisted again like the photo above.

Obviously I need to replace with PVC, but I'm curious as to why this happened again so quickly? I had the other flex hoses running fine for about 4 years without issue. is this a suction issue? a heat issue? Any idea of cost to replace these hoses with PVC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.