Seattle
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Ok, short time lurker, first post. :) Bear with me - I searched for this but didn't really find what I was looking for...

We have an Intex 12x24x52 Ultraframe XTR pool, I'm using an older model sand filter (SF70110-1) with a saltwater system (ECO8110). We had some restrictions on how we could position pool behind our shop (and it was the only location we could put it).

Currently, the filter pump and swg are under the raised deck in the drawing below. We want to put in a solar panel heater on the side of the pool where it shows in the drawing.

My question is this - does anyone see any issue with hose lengths based on moving the pump and swg to the location shown (small green rectangle on the left is the filter/pump, dark blue rectangle is the swg). Hose length from outlet to pump will be about 16'-20' or so, and return to the inlet from the swg will be about 18' to 20' *after* going through a 4x20' solar heater (positioning gives it unrestricted sunlight for ~8-10 hours a day with they systems cycle during that time frame).

We're not planning on doing this until right before we open it up next spring - I'm done with big projects for the year. Any thought's input, warm fuzzy opinions, etc are welcome and will be noted in my project journal! Thanks in advance!

pool.png

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: If you haven't already made a decision about your pump and SWG location (hose lengths), I'll tag @mas985 who is one of our hydraulics experts. I suspect he can confirm the hose length question you have. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: jonahex2099
Assuming the panels are on the ground and you are planning on using 1.5" hose, there should not be an issue. Flow rate will decrease some going through the panels and plumbing.

However, 80 sq-ft is not going to give you much heat gain in Seattle. At this time of year and even in full sun, you will get less than 2 F degree rise from the panels per day. Over multiple days, you might get twice that.

Assuming the panels are on the ground and you are planning on using 1.5" hose, there should not be an issue. Flow rate will decrease some going through the panels and plumbing.

However, 80 sq-ft is not going to give you much heat gain in Seattle. At this time of year and even in full sun, you will get less than 2 F degree rise from the panels per day. Over multiple days, you might get twice that.

Yeah - I didn’t think it’d be a significant boost and was planning on adding a decent solar cover to the mix as well. And aye, 1.5” hose when all is said and done.

I was planning on putting the panels at about a 45 degree angle with pumps running during peak sunlight time. The only other option is on top of the shop and that’s an entirely different discussion at that point. :) I have limiting factors in what I can do in the vicinity of the pool so basically it’s an I’ll take whatever I can get kind of thing. :p

None of this is getting done until we open it next year, due to price gouging we didn’t even get the pool until late so I’m just happy I was able to get it up, filled, and water balanced out. So design, planning, etc can certainly evolve and I’m open to any suggestions since I’m a relative scrub at this stuff.

I appreciate the input! Thanks!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.