Hose Bib on equipment pad?

mummer43

Jul 31, 2016
Lehigh Valley, PA
I would like to have the ability to hook up a hose on my equipment pad so that I can clean off the filter cartridges and generally just have water available in that location the equipment pad is probably 50 feet from my house. Is there a practical way to run pipe underground to a hose bib on the pool pad? Obviously freezing is the concern.

Is there a practical way to run pipe underground to a hose bib on the pool pad?
You just need to find one of your original backyard water lines underground (probably start near the rear spigot) so that you can cut into it and split it off. I suspect you have a fairly deep frost line there, so trench down as appropriate, run the new line to your pad, then bring it up to the height you want with a spigot. Secure it to a post. Aside from getting a trench digger, the tricky part will probably be finding a good place to connect your new water line to.

For 50ft I would get a T or Y adapter at the house bib and spade a 3/4 hose to the equipment pad a few inches deep. (Providing there's no patio in the way) a shop vac would blow/suck the line out for winter. It would last many years and be cheap to replace when the time comes.

or the same idea with different adapters and 3/4 PVC pipe. A female end at the house to screw onto the T and a male end at the pad to attach a hose to. Also emptied for winter with the shop vac.

If you blow it out and cap it you don't need to be below the frost line.

The area where the pipe will run will be be excavated in order to install the pavers around the pool so I imagine it will be possible to make it fairly deep.
SWEET !!! Then PVC with a one and done approach. Blow it out in the winter and add a little antifreeze just like the pool lines.

Reactions: BMerrill
That’s one way to do it if. You’d need a shut off valve and a compressor fitting valve or hose bib that a compressor valve attaches to.

Or you could use the original hose bib, T off from that, and be able to disconnect the pad pipe for winterizing. You’d need to MacGuyver the hose bib to PVC with adapters but you could figure something out that would be removable.

I wanted a hose bib at my pad as well. I asked the PB and he wanted over $1100 to run it. No thank you. While the electrician had to dig a trench for electrical/conduit, I used that trench and put in PEX tubing with Sharkbite connectors. Electrician said water pipes can go in the same trench as electric. At the house I used the existing hose bib and put a T there. Then I just used a small piece of hose(like the ones that come with a hose reel to connect to the PEX tubing. At the pad, there's a Sharkbite spigot. When winter comes, I will disconnect the hose at the house and blow out the line for winter, and probably add antifreeze.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have any height differential from the house to the pool? I close my valve to the house. Open my valve to air which is after the other valve, while I have a downhill end of line valve also open to air.

It was dropped in electrical trench after inspection.

Sure is nice to have water at a remote equipment pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.